Pickin' Stick

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

pickin stick -vs- strum stick

Postby jakstall » Tue May 21, 2002 8:48 pm

I know that pickin sticks are made by Bob McNally (sp?) and strum sticks are a little bigger and tuned lower (GDG for the strum stick and DAD for the pickin stick from what Jerry said). Would someone care to comment on the other relative pros and cons of the two variations? Also, Jerry, do you have any idea when Terry McAfferty will be in production on his pickin sticks and how would a person get on his waiting list?
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

pickin stick

Postby pickin » Tue May 21, 2002 10:41 pm

Jak, you know - I think you're right - I think it is McNally. I'll admit that I know more about the pickin than I do the strum stick. I don't have Terry's email address since it changed. I do have his wife's address. It is barbara@tmccafferty.com In regard to the pickin stick that I have, it is only the second one of it's kind. Chuck Carter has the first one. He asked Larry Barringer to make it for him. I liked it so much that Larry made one and gave it to me. Larry now lives in Virginia. He was at Glen Rose. He and his wife were in the recording studio last week in Houston. The North Harris County Dulcimer Society is making a CD. Jerry
pickin
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

strumstick

Postby pickin » Tue May 21, 2002 10:50 pm

http://www.strumstick.com/ This McNally's web site. Jerry
pickin

pickin' stick

Postby Gail Knapp » Mon May 27, 2002 2:42 pm

Hey people, I've got an extra fret board all strung up, can I make a pickin stick out of it? Suggestions, please.. Gail K
Gail Knapp
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

here's a thought

Postby pickin » Mon May 27, 2002 6:00 pm

I have a CD by Virgil Jones. We see him every year at the Lone Star State Dulcimer Festival in Glen Rose, Texas. He has a fretboard inside a gallon can. Also Scott Jackson has a workshop every year for kids. They build the instrument that Virgil plays and call it a canjo.
pickin

pickin stick

Postby Gail Knapp » Mon May 27, 2002 10:02 pm

So, how is the fret board attached to the can? Gail K
Gail Knapp

Postby pickin » Mon May 27, 2002 10:30 pm

.... it is held together with screws. The fretboard goes inside the can. Then, of course, the strings are inverted. Now you could also mount the fretboard on a piece of sturdy material (about the same size as a dulcimer) and run the strings through the back of the can. The back of the can then becomes the bridge. It is a fun project for kids and to prove the point that music can be made from simple materials. Jerry
pickin

Postby spoonsman » Tue May 28, 2002 8:01 am

You have my interest. Is there a website to see a pickin stick?
spoonsman

pickin' stick

Postby Gail Knapp » Tue May 28, 2002 8:27 am

I think i am having a pre-senior moment Spoonsman- I do remember reading an article of a group of school kids that made some canjos--a version of the pickin' stick..but for the life of me I can't remember where that was. Can anyone direct us to a pickin' stick site where they show how it is done? Gail KRolled Eye
Gail Knapp

Postby bruce » Tue May 28, 2002 3:41 pm

Why, yes there is. I just posted it this weekend. It's written by Jerry Wright and consists of an interview with Larry Barringer. ...And it has a picture! Bruce
bruce
Admin

Quick Stick

Postby KenH » Tue May 28, 2002 5:18 pm

Gail; You could use a really nice cigar box and GLUE (no screws) the fretboard to the back to retain the 'folk art' character of the front of the box. The advantage is you can open up the box and use it to store picks and music EEK! There's a guy up in Washington state who builds cigar box ukes, and gets "an arm and a leg" for them! Another simple possibility would be to use one of those round, split-wood "Shaker" boxes that you see at craft fairs and such. Hmmmm.. maybe we should move this over to Making Dulcimers Rolled Eye
Last edited by KenH on Tue May 28, 2002 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

pickin'stick

Postby Gail Knapp » Tue May 28, 2002 7:23 pm

Okay Ken here I go with all the DUMBFrown questions. I can't picture it, quite. Here you have a nice cigar box. I turn it over and I glue the fret board to the back of the box, right? Then, when i play my pickin' stick, the box is sitting under the fret board? How could I use the open up lid to keep stuff in unless I put a sturdy closure on the lid, cause when I have it upsidedown to play all my stuff will fall out.EEK! Would i drill holes in the cigar box for sound holes, or anything like that? Also, if i used a cigar box, would i glue the fret board all the way to the end of the box? Would I use the same concept with the round shaker box? I just wonder how these would sound... Sounding better all the time. I wonder if I could sell these as a beginners model.. yup, it sounds like these posts need to go over the the building section. GailK
Gail Knapp

PreviousNext

Return to The Archives