Homeschoolers

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

Homeschoolers

Postby Red-Headed_Irish_Lass » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:34 pm

I've been homeschooling for 4 almost 5 years now. My daughters are 7 & 9. Do you integrate music & dulcimers into your daily classwork? I teach recorder in a co-op. My daughters are learning the dulcimer. Farmer in the dell is sounding better Smile Folkfan, Gertie is very happy... she's having fun! i'd be interrested to hear how the dulcimer fits into your days.
Red-Headed_Irish_Lass
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Hi

Postby suenadia » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:24 am

Orginally posted by Red-Headed_Irish_Lass I've been homeschooling for 4 almost 5 years now. My daughters are 7 & 9. Hi Red! I have three daughters that we homeschool, ages 17, 15, and 11. We have been homeschooling for 11 years. Next year our oldest graduates ( I can't believe it!)Smile Do you integrate music & dulcimers into your daily classwork? Well, not dulcimer yet as I have just started learning, myself. But all three have taken piano, and the two oldest are very good at that.I think our oldest will major in music when she starts college.She plays keyboard for our church youth worship which usually runs about 80 kids. I teach recorder in a co-op. My daughters are learning the dulcimer. Farmer in the dell is sounding better Smile OH, our oldest took recorder too when she was little, they really enjoyed it.Smile Folkfan, Gertie is very happy... she's having fun! i'd be interrested to hear how the dulcimer fits into your days.
Right now, learning dulcimer is something that I am doing just for me alone. I know that might sound selfish, but this is the first thing I have taken up as a hobby for myself in years. I was always doing for everyone else.So, this is kinda my baby, lolLOL! I'd be thrilled if they want to learn and my 11 year old is showing signs of interest, so I think I'll start teaching her after I become more proficient at it. As far as how it fits into my days... well. Hm. It really is like a soothing medicine for me. A good morning would be I get up before everyone else and the house is quiet. I make myself some coffee and go out to the swing in my backyard and play my sweet dulcimer until I exhaust all the songs I know, lol. Then I'll just sit and listen to the quiet, and the birds for awhile.It is a special time for me and God. A good evening ends the same way.Smile It's nice to get to talk to you Red... your posts are always full of enthusiasm and energy. Sue
suenadia

Postby NChammer » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:51 am

I'm in a very similar situation to Sue's in that, I am a beginner also. If either of my kids were to show an interest in playing I would do all I could to help. I just don't think they've heard anything out of me that inspires them yet LOL! LOL!
NChammer
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby folkfan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:57 pm

Hi RHIL, Gertie sounds as if she's having fun, since your posts usually sound as if you're having fun. As for homeschooling, well you know that my sprout went to a small private school and then on to the local high school. From a class of 8 to a freshman class of almost 500 was a bit of a shock, but she adapted rapidly. Rachel's now at Northwestern University working on her Ph.D. in communications. She's has a hammered dulcimer that's waiting for the day when she has time to sit down and learn an instrument. Harpmaker made it for her as a high school graduation present. It has a lovely tone and a really rich sustain(the top is Spanish cedar that is like aromatherapy to play). It works well with ballads and slow airs. I know because I've sort of taken it under my wing and played it a bit. Enjoy your time with the girls. They grow up so quickly. Play on, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

homeschool

Postby Pam B. » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:15 pm

Hi all, You can count me on the homeschool list too! I just have one daughter, but she keeps me busy. Been HS-ing for 4 years now - if you count preschool stuff. It would be nice if my daughter wants to play the HD someday - but I really need a fiddle or guitar player to play with LOL! She has had some fiddle lessons and is currently in piano lessons.
Pam B.
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

homeschoolers

Postby halfpint » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:21 pm

I have home-educated my children for the last 10 years (and probably for the next 13).Smile Music has always been important in my family. My oldest will be attending college in the fall and will be majoring in computers and minoring in piano. My next is 15 and plays a mean Banjo, but since I got my dulcimer at Christmas he has been able to pick it up quite quickly also. My 7 yo has taken some piano but I have pulled him out due to the need to work on some speach problems intensely. (I can't pay for both). He likes to strum on a guitar or on a dulcimer also but says he wants to go back to piano. I purchased an inexpensive dulcimer last month at a festival here and have put numbers on it for my 5yo to work with. She is able to strum to some tab that I have written out in numbers only. We like to learn a new hymn (along with the hymn history and/or biography of the composer) every month, and each of my children usually learns to play it on his/her instrument. Because they learn these in the different keys of their instrument, we usually cannot play together so I let a different one play each day. Sometimes we will deviate from hymns and learn a song that might fit in with the history we are studying. We have done a song on the Erie Canal and several patriotic songs. We also have a chromatic psaltry which I put numbers on to match the notes for DAA tab in dulcimer so anyone in my family can play along with our dulcimers. I have some friends who have recently gotten dulcimers for their youth and they want me to arrange a meeting twice a month for us to try to play together beginning in the fall. I may have to buy two more dulcimers so all three of my younger children can play here! God Bless, Halfpint
halfpint
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Red-Headed_Irish_Lass » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:43 pm

WOW... I've never thought of learning a new hymn a month! There is a book that I got out of the library that tells the history of different hymns. Here's a bit of trivia for you... The man that wrote "the old rugged cross" wrote the song while walking home from a Salvation Army Meeting one night. They were having revival meetings. This happened in the Army that I used to work at in Canton, Illinois. they still have the bench that he dedicated his life to Christ on. Cool, huh?
Red-Headed_Irish_Lass

Re: Homeschoolers

Postby Conroy_8 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:55 am

I was really afraid due to the bad education in schools. I want my little girl to enroll in the best school so that she can learn a lot good things from there. Have you heard about Phoenix kindergarten? Please suggest if it is a wise decision to enroll my girl there?
Conroy_8
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to The Archives