Installing strap buttons?

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

Installing strap buttons?

Postby suenadia » Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:31 am

How hard is it to put strap buttons on a MD? I just ordered some from Dulcimer House in Texas. I have a rosewood scroll Blue Lion. The Dulcimer House people said we needed to drill a pilot hole first. Where would we drill the hole for the scroll end? I am wondering if this is something my husband can do or if I need to find a luthier? Bear with me folks, I am new to all this, lol. My husband is good with wood, btw. Thanks for any advice. I got tired of the thing trying to jump off my lap when I played it... LOL!
suenadia
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby KenH » Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:31 am

It's not hard, but you don't want to goof. All you're doing is drill two small holes and them driving screws into them. The tail end is pretty straightforward; the screws can go anywhere. The head end depends on the shape and style of your scroll head. If its an open bottom scrool, some folks tie the head end of the strap there and unsnap at the tail only. I'd put the snap below and 'aft' of the rearmost tuning machine on the scroll. Just remember, the screw has to go into solid thick wood, not the side. The pilot hole is to prevent the wood from splitting out when you drive the screw in. Your husband should be able to do it without much problem. Remember to mark twice and drill once....or is that the other way around?EEK!
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

ha!

Postby suenadia » Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:25 pm

Good one Ken, and thanks for the directions. I should get it in the mail next Friday... so I'll let you know how it goes. I'd die if we split the wood... We just put crown molding up in the living room and boy, we did measure twice believe me! Sue
suenadia

Postby kwl » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:14 am

My Blue Lion came with strap buttons installed. The one on the scroll end is put on the heel of the scroll on the side away the player. The other end has the strap button centered on the end block. It works well with the strap attached in this manner.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby bruce » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:37 pm

Don't forget to pull the screws across a peice of ordinary soap. It lubricates the screw and it goes in easier. Chances are the tail block is out of something hard, like maple. If you don't drill the hole big enough (Snug but not too hard to turn) and/or don't lubricate it you might snap the screw in half and then you're stuck with a half a screw in your wood filling your carefully drilled hole! Try the whole procedure on a peice of scrap wood first, like your dresser, or headboard Smile LOL! Don't risk your first try on the ever-so-important dulcimer! Bruce
bruce
Admin

Postby Davef » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:48 pm

Sue On my wife's Blue Lion we didn't put a strap button but used a leather strip like a boot lace and just tied the strap end to the scroll head and it works just fine. Dave
Davef
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby suenadia » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:27 pm

Orginally posted by Davef Sue On my wife's Blue Lion we didn't put a strap button but used a leather strip like a boot lace and just tied the strap end to the scroll head and it works just fine. Dave
Dave... Did you put a strap button on the end opposite the scroll and THEN tie the leather end to the scroll end? Or did you somehow tie both ends? Sue
suenadia

Postby harpmaker » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:36 pm

Another suggestion....before you drill into the wood, use a scratch awl or an ice pick to make a dent in the wodd exactly where you want your hole to be. This prevents the drill bit from 'walking' across the wood before it starts drilling it's way in.
harpmaker
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Paula G. » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:43 pm

I have been trying to decide whether to put a strap on my MD or not. Until then, I use that non skid stuff. I cut a strip a little longer than my MD and just lay it across my lap. It has worked very well for me and you can get it at the dollar store for a dollar.
Paula G.
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby suenadia » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:06 am

Orginally posted by Paula G. I have been trying to decide whether to put a strap on my MD or not. Until then, I use that non skid stuff. I cut a strip a little longer than my MD and just lay it across my lap. It has worked very well for me and you can get it at the dollar store for a dollar.
Thanks Paula, I use the non skid stuff too, but I am wanting to play a bit faster and harder and am having touble balancing the thing on my lap, lol! I think a strap will be the best solution for me.. and then I can spend my energy concentrating on my finger placement instead of keeping the dulcimer steady!! Sue
suenadia

Postby KenH » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:33 am

Sue; if you tie at the head end you'd use a strap button at the tail end to make putting the strap on and off a "snap"EEK!
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby suenadia » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:21 am

Orginally posted by bruce Don't forget to pull the screws across a peice of ordinary soap. It lubricates the screw and it goes in easier. Chances are the tail block is out of something hard, like maple. If you don't drill the hole big enough (Snug but not too hard to turn) and/or don't lubricate it you might snap the screw in half and then you're stuck with a half a screw in your wood filling your carefully drilled hole! Try the whole procedure on a peice of scrap wood first, like your dresser, or headboard Smile LOL! Don't risk your first try on the ever-so-important dulcimer! Bruce
LOL! LOL! LOL! I loved your version of scrap wood Bruce... Probably because that is how I feel... ooh if something happened to my dulcimer...Frown
suenadia

Next

Return to The Archives