Installing strap buttons?

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

Postby folkfan » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:56 am

Hi, Suenadia, Have you thought about using a possum board. I have lap balancing problems too, but hate being confined with the strap. I can't just jump up and answer the phone for example. My possum board's entire bottom is covered with the non-skid rubber stuff while the raised edge on the top keeps my dulcimer in place. It really works well and I don't have to put strap buttons on all my instruments. The one that Harpmaker made for me with an extra support leg means that I don't have to worry about sitting with my feet propped up on the legs of the chair if the height of the chair is too high. Play on, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby suenadia » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:41 pm

Orginally posted by folkfan Hi, Suenadia, Have you thought about using a possum board. I have lap balancing problems too, but hate being confined with the strap. I can't just jump up and answer the phone for example. My possum board's entire bottom is covered with the non-skid rubber stuff while the raised edge on the top keeps my dulcimer in place. It really works well and I don't have to put strap buttons on all my instruments. The one that Harpmaker made for me with an extra support leg means that I don't have to worry about sitting with my feet propped up on the legs of the chair if the height of the chair is too high. Play on, FF
thanks Folkfan! That is another good idea! I will file that for future reference. Right now I just have the one dulcimer so I think a strap will work... If and (WHEN<LOL) I get more I just might try the possum board. It would have the added effect of the extra volume too.....Wink
suenadia
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Davef » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:36 pm

Hi Sue Yes we put a strap button on the tail end and it fit nicely. She's been playing with it for a year and it works well. Dave
Davef
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: pull the screw across a bar of soap

Postby JOERO » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 am

bruce wrote:Don't forget to pull the screws across a peice of ordinary soap. It lubricates the screw and it goes in easier. Chances are the tail block is out of something hard, like maple. If you don't drill the hole big enough (Snug but not too hard to turn) and/or don't lubricate it you might snap the screw in half and then you're stuck with a half a screw in your wood filling your carefully drilled hole! Try the whole procedure on a peice of scrap wood first, like your dresser, or headboard Smile LOL! Don't risk your first try on the ever-so-important dulcimer! Bruce

Using soap on a steel screw may cause it to rust. I use beeswax or candle wax. Soap works in the short term but will cause rust over time. This of course unless screws are of a nonferrous metal or plated.
JOERO
Member (51-100 posts)

Previous

Return to The Archives