Strap buttons a success!!

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

Strap buttons a success!!

Postby suenadia » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:25 pm

Thanks to all for the strap button ideas... my husband put the button on the end of my Blue Lion and then I bought a leather craft lace and tied it on the scroll end. It works beautifully!! I am playing much better now.. as my concentration is on the fingers and not on the flying dulcimer. Special thanks to Bruce and Davef. I took your advice Dave, about the scroll end. I am dying to send you pics... maybe when I figure out this scanner we just bought...lolLOL! LOL! Sue
suenadia
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby kwl » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:04 pm

Sue, great to hear that the system works! Playing with a strap really helps secure the dulcimer. Enjoy!
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby nwilson02 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:07 am

Sue, I know what you mean about strap buttons. I ordered my Folkcraft with the strap buttons on it and now don't know how I played without them. It made playing so much easier that, while at Cullowhee, I had the Dulcimer Doctor put them on my Blue Lion. I use the quick release straps and that makes getting them off and on much easier. Nancy
nwilson02
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby suenadia » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:03 pm

Orginally posted by nwilson02 Sue, I know what you mean about strap buttons. I ordered my Folkcraft with the strap buttons on it and now don't know how I played without them. It made playing so much easier that, while at Cullowhee, I had the Dulcimer Doctor put them on my Blue Lion. I use the quick release straps and that makes getting them off and on much easier. Nancy
Uh.. Nancy! You got to go to Cullowhee, I am so jealous!! did you get to meet Janita of Blue Lion? I got quick release straps too and I love them.. makes it so much easier... Sue
suenadia

Postby nwilson02 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:34 pm

Sue, I had an elective with her on 4 equidistant tuning and it was so much fun. She's a great teacher and a really nice person. I had spoke with her on the phone several times but this was my first time to meet her and she was as nice in person as she is over the phone. You have to go to Cullowhee. I'm already planning on how to pay for next year's trip. Start saving your pennies. It's defintely a must!
nwilson02
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby suenadia » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:23 am

Orginally posted by nwilson02 Sue, I had an elective with her on 4 equidistant tuning and it was so much fun. She's a great teacher and a really nice person. I had spoke with her on the phone several times but this was my first time to meet her and she was as nice in person as she is over the phone. You have to go to Cullowhee. I'm already planning on how to pay for next year's trip. Start saving your pennies. It's defintely a must!
It would definately be my dream to go... right now I just started back to school full time so I don't think I will make it next year. Maybe the year after that...Frown But I am so happy for you that you got to meet Janita.Smile That is too cool.
suenadia

Postby Dru Lee Parsec » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:20 pm

Just as a quick aside, Stewart MacDonald has Schaller quick release strap buttons in gold and silver. Here's the URL: http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cg ... g/sku.html I've used them on all my guitars and straps for at least 20 years and I love them. They never come undone until you want them to and then it's fast and easy. I've only had one set break on me. Hope it helps. Greg
Dru Lee Parsec

Postby suenadia » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:15 pm

Orginally posted by Dru Lee Parsec Just as a quick aside, Stewart MacDonald has Schaller quick release strap buttons in gold and silver. Here's the URL: http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cg ... g/sku.html I've used them on all my guitars and straps for at least 20 years and I love them. They never come undone until you want them to and then it's fast and easy. I've only had one set break on me. Hope it helps. Greg
Pretty cool, thanks!!!
suenadia

Re: Strap buttons a success!!

Postby JOERO » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:31 am

I used strap buttons on most of my first builds but they can be broken or loose over time and straps can slip off. I now use a very simple technique . I just drill a 1/4" hole through the headblock and tailblock, countersink them on both sides , run a leather thong through and tie a knot. Nothing to break or come loose. This would not work if the tailblock did not extend outside the soundbox. Mine extend about 1 1/4". It's been my experience that the simplest solutions can be the best.
JOERO
Member (51-100 posts)

Return to The Archives