Anyone heard this tune?

Introduce and discuss dulcimer tunes from Dulcitunes.com or other web locations

Anyone heard this tune?

Postby Ben » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:51 am

I got this tune from an Irish music CD called Another Sky by Altan. The tune is called The Oopik Waltz, and it sounds beautiful. It is played with a violin, I think, but it sounds to me like it would lend itself to, and subsequently sound beautiful on, a Mountain Dulcimer.

A shot in the dark, but has anyone written this out yet? Either Tab or regular music notation?

I might make an attempt at it. :-)
Ben
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: Anyone heard this tune?

Postby modulcimer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:43 pm

I know I have heard Don Pedi play a song called Ook Pic Waltz... think I have tab for it.. if I can just put my hands on it :lol:
modulcimer
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Ben » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Wow, I'll bet that's the same tune. The name seems too similar to be mere coincidence. :D If you could share the tune I would tremendously appreciate it!
Ben
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby jakstall » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Ben,

I don't have tab, but have played it by ear.

As best I can tell, the song was written by a Canadian named Frankie Rodgers in the mid 60s.

The JamnFolk web site has a version here. I'm not wild about this version since it is in G, but seems to be written for DAD tuning so the drones won't match. That version does have notes, so you could work out your own tab, though. There are a few other places on the web with sheet music. You can do a search for Ook Pik Waltz, Eskimo Waltz, Ookpik Waltz and other variants.

Good luck.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby modulcimer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:42 pm

I can't find my copy of the tab.. but it is from the Jam n Folk site..only problems is I just tried to go there and apparently :( they are down again.. I'll keep looking for it tho..
modulcimer
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:34 am

Thanks so much. I think armed with that information I might be able to find it. :-)
Ben
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby jakstall » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:20 am

modulcimer wrote:I can't find my copy of the tab.. but it is from the Jam n Folk site..only problems is I just tried to go there and apparently :( they are down again.. I'll keep looking for it tho..

The link I provided earlier is direct to the tab on the Jam n Folk site. Following is a link to the gneral site:
Jam n Folk

Both links worked just a minute ago (it is about 0715 CDT on June 3, 2010 now).

As I said before, I don't like that arrangement, but since the standard notation piece is reasonable you can generate better tab for it fairly easily. Ben, if you need a little help with that, let me know. I would also need to know your preferred tuning and key.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby brashley46 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:18 pm

I don't recall the tune, but I do remember Ookpik. It's a snowy-owl doll from the Inuit settlement at Kuujjuaq, Nunavik, Quebec. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ookpik According to the Wikipedia article the tune is copyright Frankie Rodgers, 1965.
brashley46
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby rendesvous1840 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:57 pm

http://www.nashvilleoldtime.org/Tunes%2 ... OTSBA_.pdf
Here's sheet music for it, with guitar chords,but no dulcimer tab. There is also some info regarding the composer/history of the song. There are some recordings of it, and I think a couple of YouTubes as well, but I can't recall a dulcimer recording.
Paul
rendesvous1840
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Ben » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:16 am

Thanks so much for that!
Ben
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Scott Allen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Ben wrote:I got this tune from an Irish music CD called Another Sky by Altan. The tune is called The Oopik Waltz, and it sounds beautiful. It is played with a violin, I think, but it sounds to me like it would lend itself to, and subsequently sound beautiful on, a Mountain Dulcimer.

A shot in the dark, but has anyone written this out yet? Either Tab or regular music notation?

I might make an attempt at it. :-)

Neal Walters has a version in one of his tab books. Check out his website and you can probably find it.

Scott
Scott Allen
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby marybery » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:54 pm

I am also looking for the tab for OokPik Waltz. I found a beautiful rendition played by Duane Porterfield on YouTube, but can't find tab for it anywhere. I can't even figure out what he has his dulcimer tuned to. I don't believe it is either DAD or DAA. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find the tab for this?
marybery
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Next

Return to Dulcitunes