Mandolin and Octave Violin Bowed Dulcimer

For those who like to saw out their music

Mandolin and Octave Violin Bowed Dulcimer

Postby southernmiss » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:01 pm

Ken, I read that a mandolin has same tuning as a violin, therefore, same as an octave violin BD. Is the Bouzouki (sp.?) tuned like a violin also? Is there some carry over between instruments - that is, learning one makes it easier to learn another. Which has the deeper voice - the mandolin or the bouzouki?

Also, on the same note, I'm wondering what a duet of the two instruments would sound like.

You guys are having such wonderful time in the the festivals. I so much wish I could be there with you. I'm very interested in the posts about playing by ear and intend to do more of this. Not only is it fun, but it's bound to be a good way to improve one's ability to hear pitch. Am I right?

Lee
southernmiss
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Mandolin and Octave Violin Bowed Dulcimer

Postby Ken Bloom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Lee,

Bouzoukis fall into two categories, Greek and Irish. Another way of looking at it is bouzoukis and citterns. The traditional Greek bouzouki is usually found as a four course, bowl back instrument tuned CGFAD, on ewhole tone lower than the guitar. The more traditional three coure bouzouki is tuned the ever-familiar DAD. This is the sort that I play and have used on my CDs. Irish bouzoukis or citterns come in quite a few variants, usually four or five courses with a muititude of tunings usualy based on fourths and fifths.
A mandolin is tuned to the same octave as a the violin. Bouzoukis are all in the guitar range and lower. The three course bouzouki that I play is tuned exactly like a standard bowed dulcimer. There is always some carry-over from one stringed instrument to another, but there is always somthing new to learn as well. Bouzoukis and bowed dulcimers go very well together. they do compliment one another.
Playing by ear is always helpful. The complete musician should be equally comfortable doing it either by ear or by paper. Makes for a more harmonious outcome. I'll be including more ear stuff in all my upcoming workshops.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.com
Ken Bloom

Postby southernmiss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks, Ken. Have you (or do you) make three course bouzoukis?

Lee
southernmiss

Postby Ken Bloom » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:33 pm

The short answer is yes I do. I have even made four course bouzoukis. The ones I make are all in the Greek stye.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.com
Ken Bloom

Return to Playing Bowed Dulcimer