Coda Bow: To buy or not to buy?

For those who like to saw out their music

Coda Bow: To buy or not to buy?

Postby flutinggnee » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello, I am a newbie to bowed dulcimer, but have been playing fiddle/violin for 4 years. I have a Coda Luma bow for my violin, and love it. I just wondered what everyone's experience is with a Coda Prodigy bow for BD. Is it worth it? Probably a silly question with a simple answer: Yes! I currently have a $60 carbon fiber cello bow I bought on Amazon. I am so close to ordering a Coda Bow for my BD. Just wondering how much of a difference it will make. I'd love to hear people's experiences with other bows, and especially with the Coda bow.

Thanks, Jeanie
flutinggnee
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Coda Bow: To buy or not to buy?

Postby Ken Bloom » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:36 am

The difference between the bottom end carbon fiber bow that you have and any Coda bow is huge. The biggest difference is the tone. They handle so much better as well. I recimmend Coda to bowed dulcmer players because they are so consistent one bow to the next. That being said I have found that the low and middle range Codas are the best buys. I have played their top bows and don't find them that much better than the middle range ones. I played a Coda Conservatory for years and it improved my playing tremendously. I would still be using it were it not for the fact that I was given an Arcus bow which is amazing but very expensive. I have found that Coda bows give you great value for the money. The other major one to consider are the Glasser woven graphite bows which are in about the same price range and are equally good sounding. IN the end, the choice of a bow is a very personal choice. The bow that one person loves, another will not be so thrilled with. You can go to any violin shop and try a bunch and see what you think. There will be a lot of bowed dulcimer players showing up here in Pilot Mountain, NC this weekend for the 12th Annual Pilot Mountain Bowed Dulcimer Festival. One fo the things that goes on is people trying out other folks' bows to see what they think.Hope this helps.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Ken Bloom
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby flutinggnee » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks, Ken! I went ahead and ordered a Coda Prodigy bow. Looking forward to trying it. I just needed some extra encouragement to order it, I guess. :)
flutinggnee
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Ken Bloom » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:33 am

Always happy to help! Happy bowing.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Ken Bloom
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Playing Bowed Dulcimer