Hidden Sun

If you put a video on the web, announce it here You can easily embed your Youtube or Vimeo videos into your post.

See this topic for more info on embedding videos into your posts!

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29333

Hidden Sun

Postby ronzuckerman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:06 pm

This is an improvised tune that I wrote for the August 21, 2017 total solar eclipse. It is for mountain dulcimer (DAD capo 4), electric guitar, and electric bass. The photo is from NASA
https://soundcloud.com/ron-zuckerman-530831324/hidden-sun
ronzuckerman
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Hidden Sun

Postby inomini » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Ron, Finally checked out Hidden Sun. Well done and your music was very thought provoking. A musical tribute to the science event of the year. Inomini
inomini
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:00 pm

Well done Ron. It's a great composition and you did excellent with mixing the recording. Maybe you played this during the eclipse?

Dave
dholeton

Postby ronzuckerman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks, inomini.

Hi Dave,

No, I actually started working on it the day before the eclipse. I recorded the dulcimer track that day. I had been looking at older pictures of total eclipses. I was excited about this one since the last total eclipse I remember was sometime in the 1970s. Unfortunately, I was not in an area that had totality (only about 97%), so I didn't actually get to see totality firsthand. Also, I didn't think to purchase eclipse glasses early enough, didn't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for them, and heard about a lot of cases where the glasses were recalled because they didn't offer sufficient protection, so I didn't buy any. Instead, I went outside with my tablet and watched the NASA live stream while it got dark. I got a brief glimpse of the sun when it was mostly eclipsed when a cloud passed over the sun. I saw the black disc with the white ring and then quickly looked away. Even though I didn't get the full experience, I still enjoyed it, and I thought about it for several days afterwards. I thought more about the improvised melody I did on the dulcimer and started hearing other parts woven in. The electric guitar and bass seemed to be the best fit for what I was hearing in my head. However, I wasn't really sure about the chords (a bit more dissonance than usual), time signatures (mostly 3/4, but other time signatures, too), or timing I was using. All of these were very fluid, so I listened to the original recording several times and wrote it out. I used the written material as a means to improvise the guitar and bass parts. When I get the time, I'll write out the guitar and bass parts and tab out the whole thing.

Regards,
Ron
ronzuckerman

Return to Links to Dulcimer Videos and Audio Files