Login Enabled for Club and Event Editors

Seek answers and ask questions here.

Login Enabled for Club and Event Editors

Postby Dan Landrum » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:47 pm

The login system for the non-forum pages of Everything Dulcimer is now working. It is designed to give those responsible for events and club listings full freedom to enter and edit. Please read the questions and answers below for a quick primer on how it works.

1. Who needs to log in?
Only those who are entering or editing content.

2. If I log in to edit clubs and events, am I logged in on the Discussion Forum?

No. The discussion forum is a completely different login system, even if you use the same username and password.

3. Do I have full access to view and search all clubs, events, tab, articles, etc without logging in?
Yes. The only thing you can't do without logging in is edit.

4. What can I do after I'm logged in?

You can enter new clubs and event listings. You can edit any club and events listings that you created on or after Friday August 14, 2009.

5. Can I immediately create new listings after I register?
Yes, there is no waiting period.

6. What about club and event listings prior to August 14, 2009?
Any listings prior to this date will have to be manually associated with your username. We will do this for you, but need some help from you. Let us know what needs to be reassociated by copying the URL of the listing (club or event) for which you will be responsible, and pasting it in an email to me. The easiest way to email me is through the contact tab which you'll see on the home page. Please don't notify me via PM, that box fills too quickly. I'll also need to know your username, but NOT your password. Some of you will be responsible for multiple listings - please try your best to reference all of your listings in a single email. I'll let you know as soon as the change is effective, which should be less than 24 hours.

7. You mentioned clubs and events, but what about TAB?
TAB (and articles) will eventually work the same way, but not just yet. Continue to email me your TAB submissions.

make that say something about "some of you will be responsible for multiple listings - please try your best to reference all of your listings in a single email" or something like that
Dan Landrum
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Login Enabled for Club and Event Editors

Postby nancyWI » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi all :D,

OK Great work and easy now for editing the information for either the club or event! I just registered and created a login for editing our club and workshop information. A button at the bottom of the event appears to let you edit the information and then send it off. Because our workshop was created before Aug. 14, I did email Dan and he gave me permission to complete the editing.

Thanks guys!

Now I only wish there was a larger button or change in color, so one remembers to logout when leaving.

Nancy From WI
nancyWI
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Dan Landrum » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks Nancy. If you forget to log out it will be done automatically after a couple of hours.
Dan Landrum

Postby ronzuckerman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Could you possibly make the Event Name field longer? I can't quite fit in the entire name that I want for our festival. We actually have two different venues: 2-day workshop at a local church and a 1-day festival at a local historical park. I wanted to call one "Double Dulcimer Gathering (Workshops)" and the other "Double Dulcimer Gathering (Festival)", but there wasn't enough room to do that.

Thanks for getting that up and running so quickly. :o
ronzuckerman

Postby ronzuckerman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Oh, I forgot to metion that you have an error in your address munging Javascript code for the contact E-mail address that is not letting the E-mail link be displayed:

var addy_text89138 = 'Contact's Email';

should be this:

var addy_text89138 = 'Contact\'s Email';

The code is rather clever. Did someone on your team write it, or was this part of the purchased software? I'd like to use it on our website. I'm currently hiding E-mail addresses and phone numbers using pictures.
ronzuckerman

Postby Stephen Seifert » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 pm

I just set the title field for both events and clubs to 50 characters. Should it be more?
Stephen Seifert
Admin

Postby Stephen Seifert » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 pm

Ron, what email links are you talking about? I just tried the ones in Clubs and they seem to be working. I get the feeling you're talking about some other area of the site. Thanks!
Stephen Seifert
Admin

Postby ronzuckerman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:54 pm

Sorry, Steve, I forgot to mention that this is in the Events page.
ronzuckerman

Postby ronzuckerman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Steve, thanks for changing the field widths for the event title. I just made the changes I wanted.
ronzuckerman

Postby Andreas » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:04 am

A request from us non-locals - could you please post what state an event is held in? Sometimes just the town name is given.

Thanks -

Andreas
Andreas

Postby ronzuckerman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:51 am

Sometimes the state shows up, and sometimes it doesn't. I just did a search for all events for 2009, and some of the entries came up with states and some didn't. I suspect that that information was either not on the old website, or if it was, it is possible it was placed in the wrong field.

Something that I would like to see change is how the information is presented for the search. It would be nice if it were in chronological order and if the end date field and description field (at least the first part of it) were also displayed.
ronzuckerman

Postby Dan Landrum » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:00 pm

We'll look into the chronological search order. It seems like that should be an option, but I haven't seen it. We'll dig a little deeper.

. . . Andreas, Ron is correct in stating that many of the events were entered without the state. I think the new system will make it easier and more obvious that the state should always be entered.
Dan Landrum

Next

Return to Website Issues?