Free Tab for January 2017 - "Lavendar's Blue"

All strummers welcome!

Free Tab for January 2017 - "Lavendar's Blue"

Postby Tull » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi all,

I've just finished uploading this month's free tab arrangement on my website, Eagle Creek Music. In honor of the New Year, this month's offering is a 2-part arrangement of the children's lullaby "Lavendar's Blue" (aka "Dilly Dilly"). The earliest known version of the song was printed in an English broadside in 1682. In the centuries since, it has evolved into a children's lullaby, and in 1805 was published in that form in a collection of children's songs called "Songs for the Nursery".

It enjoyed a resurgence in popularity when Burl Ives recorded a version of it for the Disney movie "So Dear To My Heart" in 1948. It was nominated for an Academy Award for best song that year, and became Ives' first hit song. Over the years it has been recorded by such disparate artists as Sammy Kaye, Dinah Shore, Vera Lynn, and Jack Pleis.

In 2015, Disney studios released a live-action version of the movie "Cinderella", and the song was featured prominently in that sound track.

Here is a link to a Youtube video of the song from the 2015 Disney film "Cinderella"

This is a 2-part arrangement (melody and bass), so find a playing partner and enjoy.

Wishing you all peace, joy, and MUSIC for the New Year!

In music and friendship,
--Tull

Tull Glazener
"Plays Well With Others"
Tull
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Free Tab for January 2017 - "Lavendar's Blue"

Postby Dusty Turtle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks for this and all the other wonderfully arranged tunes you make available to us, Tull. You are a great asset to the dulcimer community.

The song by this title that I learned as a kid (which was probably the Burl Ives version) was in 4/4 time. Where does your 3/4 version of the tune come from? Is that how it was published in the 17th century? Are you basing your arrangement on the Cinderella version above?
Dusty Turtle

Postby Tull » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:04 am

Dusty Turtle wrote:Thanks for this and all the other wonderfully arranged tunes you make available to us, Tull. You are a great asset to the dulcimer community.

The song by this title that I learned as a kid (which was probably the Burl Ives version) was in 4/4 time. Where does your 3/4 version of the tune come from? Is that how it was published in the 17th century? Are you basing your arrangement on the Cinderella version above?

Hi Dusty,

First of all, thanks for all the kind words. Always nice to know folks are enjoying/getting some use out of some of these monthly tabs.

Yes, the original melody was in "waltz time". I did look at the Burl Ives version, but he had taken some "creative license" with his arrangement, because the Disney movie producers needed it to be a bit longer for the movie. He actually added a completely new "bridge section" that doesn't seem to appear anywhere else.

The version I tabbed is closer to the "Cinderella re-make" version than the Burl Ives version, although it also differs a bit from the original in a few places.
Tull

Postby Dusty Turtle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:53 am

Thanks for the details, Tull.

I am also enjoying your 3-String Waltzes book, and seeing "The Merry Widow Waltz" put a big smile on my face. I had played that melody on the piano as a kid. I was surprised how quickly the melody came back to me.

Thanks again.
Dusty Turtle

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers