Extra frets on MD

All strummers welcome!

Extra frets on MD

Postby LarryHicks » Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:09 pm

My first dulcimer, which I bought during the summer of 2001, was handmade by a person in Knott Cty, KY. I bought it knowing practically nothing about dulcimers, and became unhappy with the sound after 4 or 5 months of trying to learn to play. At a local music store I found a Folkcraft dulcimer which was much superior in sound quality, so I bought my second dulcimer. The Folkcraft has the 6 1/2 fret which shows up in some of the books I have. I just recently discovered my first handmade dulcimer has an 8 1/2 fret. No wonder I had trouble making some songs sound right! Anyone able to enlighten me about this 8.5 fret? Is it a local thing around the Hindman Settlement School? Larry
LarryHicks
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

8.5 fret

Postby KenH » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:44 pm

Nope, that's not a Hindeman Settlement feature; it's an addition by whoever the local builder was... I suspect I know who, having lived in that areaEEK! Not a particularly useful feature... personally I'd pull the fret.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

extra fret

Postby LarryHicks » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:52 pm

Thanks for your input Ken. As you suggested, I am tempted to pull the 8.5 fret so it doesn't mess me up. However, I seldom play that dulcimer because the sound is inferior. I need to "fine tune" it using some of the suggestions elsewhere on ED. I plan on using it for my upcoming OctoberFest event as a second dulcimer for people to try out, instead of letting them beat on my Folkcraft. A friend will be bringing a Homer Ledford dulcimer, but it is almost too pretty too play. Larry
LarryHicks
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers