Music Notation Software

All strummers welcome!

Music Notation Software

Postby Walt Rollison » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:58 am

Does anyone know of a music notation software package that sells for under $200.00? Music Writer Deluxe is not compatable with my system. I am running Windows ME. I usually tab out about 35 to 40 songs a year and have been writing them and the music by hand. I have seen software called Sebelius on eBay that sells for around $300.00, does anyone know anything about it? Steven K. Smith suggested that Tabledit might be good for me, does anyone know anything about it?
Walt Rollison
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby SMO » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:39 am

TABLEDIT is quite good to work with for mountain dulcimer. It has a specific tab setup for it. You can enter the tab directly on their form and it will also give you the musical notation if you wish. The only real problem I have with it is positioning words in the tab. I think it costs about $55 or so. Go to TABLEDIT.COM and take a look. You can order it online and download straight from their site. Incidently, TABLEDIT is coded for a great number of instruments and they have tab libraries for each of them. I've been using it for several years now and like it a lot.
SMO
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby jakstall » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:19 am

I'll second Mike's recommendation of TABledit. I have it and it is good software. It is quite tedious to add lyrics, but it can be done. I believe they have a free trial edition that limits you to 12 measures or something, but would give you an idea of what you can do. It is also pretty good for sharing since they have a free reader which you can distribute and there are good printing and save format options. Check out their site at: http://www.tabledit.com/ The software is $55.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Music Notation Software

Postby Walt Rollison » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:04 pm

MANY THANKS TO BRUCE, STEPHEN SMITH, MIKE AND JAK FOR YOUR PROMPT ANSWER. ON YOUR ADVICE I HAVE PURCHASED TABLEDIT. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO USING IT ONCE I RETURN FROM MY HOLIDAY. I HOPE TO HAVE IT UP AND RUNNING FOR OUR WORKSHOP AT THE JUBILEE FESTIVAL. I 'LL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW I MAKE OUT. WALT ROLLISON
Walt Rollison
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Tabledit

Postby kwl » Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:56 am

Walt, I realize you won't get this until after your holiday, but I, too, use Tabledit. I find it relatively easy to use for the dulcimer. My son used if for a while in making up tab for his guitar students. He's moved on to Finale which is really high end, but music is his business. Perhaps all of us Tabledit users here can share tips and ideas. Since upgrading, I haven't been able to move my cursor without it jumping from on line of tab to the next. This is a little frustrating. I haven't figured out how to correct this problem. Good luck with the program.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Reply to Ken

Postby Walt Rollison » Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:22 am

Ken : Thanks for telling me about the problem. It is really a good idea about having Tabledit users swap information. I'll be home ina few days and try to work with this new software. By the way, have you contacted Kieth @tabledit.com about the problem you are having? Anyhow, thanks for your help and the dulcimer does, indeed have a sweet song. Walt
Walt Rollison
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Tabledit

Postby kwl » Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:14 am

No, I haven't contacted Keith. He's been helpful in the past. I guess I'm just procrastinating. I'll get around to it one of these days!LOL!
Last edited by kwl on Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Table Edit Software

Postby Gimlimom » Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:32 pm

Can any of you using this software tell me if it automatically notes tab ?? You see, I have no idea how to make standard notation into tab, so I'd be lost if the software doesn't automatically do it..... I'm probably asking too much ... but, it doesn't hurt to try... Wanda
Gimlimom
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby jakstall » Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:29 am

Wanda, You're not asking too much. Tabledit has a "keyboard" palette which lets you enter notes via a piano keyboard replica. I don't think you can enter notes directly on the standard notation staff, but you can use this palette. Since you understand standard notation, but have a little trouble getting to tab from there, another possibility is to use my spreadsheet from the articles area (http://everythingdulcimer.com/articles/ ... tuning.php) to find out what notes correspond to a particular fret on a given string. (Please forgive the shameless plug). I usually write tab after picking out a song by ear. If I have standard notation and am having a little trouble getting started, I'll figure out the first couple of notes from a chart (like the spreadsheet) or knowledge of the key (scale) and its relationship to the fretboard.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Gimlimom » Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:42 pm

Jak, Not a shameless plug at all !! It's exactly what I need ! Tongue Wanda
Gimlimom
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby bruce » Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:40 pm

Tabledit is a great program! I've been using .abc files lately. ABC files are a text way to represent music. There are programs that not only produce beautifule sheet music from it, but also tab, and MIDI...which is VERY important to me since I need to hear the song to play it. I like a program for ABCMus (http://home.swipnet.se/hnorbeck/abcmus/). This program doesn't automatically tab, but it opens the door to ABC files, which gives you immediate access to thousands of songs out there on the Internet. You can find ABC files using: http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/FindTune.html An ABC example...I like Celtic jigs and reels on the HD. With ABC files, a few searches and downloads and now I have hundreds of jigs and reels at my fingertips. I pull the HD over near the computer and play what I hear. I'm sure it's true for other music types. Bruce
Last edited by bruce on Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce
Admin

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers