John Naylor & the Dulcimer Factory

All strummers welcome!

Re: John Naylor & the Dulcimer Factory

Postby joe sanguinette » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:09 pm

don't laugh ok..........but i found years ago a popsickle stick made a great noter. they are easier to hold on to......at least for me.

john and shirly naylor are friends. i visited their "factory" in freicksburg several times. i sold them books.
joe sanguinette
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Porro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Got it and found the article and time to go do something new and stop typing on the keyboard.

I thought the serial number system of that 89 might have added something. Nice that I found your site and found that I have an earlier production model.
Porro
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby merlinharp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 pm

I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank all of you for the information on the Dulcimer Factory products. Thanks to you, I was able to buy a 1997 backpacker from Goodwill for $36! I can wait to give it a try--waiting for strings to get here.

I am an older musician who is very excited to get going!

Many thanks!
merlinharp
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 am

Glad we could be helpful to you. Enjoy your backpacker. If you have any questions or we can offer help or encouragement, let us know.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Notsothoreau » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 pm

I just picked up a Dulcimer Factory dulcimer. It's an hourglass style, number 972384D2. It has a decent sound and I think I will set this up to play with a noter. The action seems high but I'll have to see how it goes with new strings. I think it's a decent student instrument and I will be buying a better instrument soon.
Notsothoreau
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:07 pm

Congratulations. As a new player who is talking about noter & drone, here are two articles I wrote which may interest you:

I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What? An illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms (so we all speak the same dulci-language) plus answers to many beginner questions about the tuning, playing, care and feeding of your new friend.
http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/files ... _hulme.pdf

Get Noterized A guide to playing with a stick in your left hand -- materials, shapes, sizes, techniques and more...
http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/files ... _Hulme.pdf

A "high action" is not such a bad thing if you're playing with a noter. Of course if it's a quarter inch between strings and frets, that's a bit much. We often use the Nickel & Dime test to set a "decent" action height. Lay a dime next to the 1st fret, and the strings should just touch the coin. A the same time the strings should just touch a Nickel placed on top of the 7th fret.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Notsothoreau » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:54 pm

I used the first article to restring it today. And it's in tune, sorta. Nice to have more than two strings :) I am concerned about the tuners, as I'm not sure if they will hold in tune, but there doesn't seem to be any play in them. I'm waiting to see if it's just a matter of the strings settling in. It just has two pins on the tailpiece, so the strings have to snug up to each other to seat. And I think I found a noter! I have a small yew shaft from a turkish spindle. The tip broke off and I had to replace it. It seems to be a great size for a noter and I'm hoping the yew can take the abuse. I think I'm going to need to trade off with the noter, until I get some calluses built up.
Notsothoreau
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:55 pm

If the strings slip when tuned up to pitch, it could be that the open geared tuners on your dulcimer need to have the screw in the center tightened. It should not take much to tighten; maybe an eighth to a quarter of a turn.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Notsothoreau » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:00 pm

I think it will hold in tune okay, now that the strings have settled a bit. There are only two pegs on the tail to attach the strings, so there is some room for movement, when you first restring it. It does have a nice sound and I am having fun messing around with it.
Notsothoreau
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers