Richard D. Gardner - Dulcimer #60

All strummers welcome!

Richard D. Gardner - Dulcimer #60

Postby chap » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am

Hi folks,

My name is Chap and from South Central Ky. Guitarist, clawhammerist and hopefully, soon to be dulcimerist. ;) I've had dulcimers around for years, including a hammered dulcimer I built back in the early 80's but never seemed to take time to get to know them and play them. Mostly I'd just plink on them a few minutes and go elsewhere. Now I wish to add the dulcimer into my shows.

A number of years ago a friend found a lap dulcimer thrown out and in a garbage can. He didn't want it to go to waste so he picked it up and gave it to me as a gift. I put it away. It's been sitting on the shelf these past five years or so. It's a very nice piece of work and I'd like to find out more about it.

The dulcimer is a Richard D. Gardner built three string in the hourglass design. It looks like all walnut but am not sure. On the inside label is the following:
# 60 - Strings Instruments & Bows: Repairs - Sales - Evaluations
Richard D. Gardner
Violin Maker
July, 1997

(hand signed) "Dick Gardner"
(with a hand written note) "Created For Frances"

with an address of:
Rt 1 Box 45, Webbville, Ky. 41180 ( and a phone #)

The dulcimer is in a plush lined McSpadden case and came with a printed note as follows:

"Adonis"
"The name of a handsome young man loved by Venus."
"This name I, Richard Gardner give to number 60 dulcimer created for Frances Tucker."
(hand signed) Dick Gardner

I have googled as much info as I have to find Mr. Gardner and his shop. But to no avail. I was wondering if anyone might have more information as to the history of Mr. Gardner's shop and his dulcimers.

I will take some photos and post them shortly.

Thank you in advance,

Chapman Jones
chap
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Richard D. Gardner - Dulcimer #60

Postby chap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Photos as promised ..

Tuners and scroll work
Attachments
dulci2.jpg
dulci1.jpg
chap
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby chap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:04 pm

Note the photo of the upper sound holes. Apparently, Mr. Gardner started to make "musical note" sound holes. You can see pencil markings depicting the note staff. For whatever reason he didn't complete them and covered them over with what appears to be black painted walnut covers. It also appears a previous owner attempted to remove those sound hole covers. I'm going to try and remove the rest of the wood from those sound hole covers.

Attachments
dulci4..jpg
dulci3..jpg
chap
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:58 pm

I take it you've tried calling the phone number and checking the White Pages for Webvillle looking for the builder and the customer... I've never heard of him, but there re/were a lot of small builders in Ky...
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Mthonaker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 pm

Thank you so much for asking for info. I am so excited to here about the dulcimer. Richard Gardner is my grandfather. He passed a week ago today. He spent many years on the farm there in Webbville before retiring to Morehead. Prior to the farm, He and my grandmother Georgene Gardner raised four daughters in Russel, KY. Here is the link to his obituary.
http://themoreheadnews.com/obituariesla ... Gardner-Jr

His accomplishments with the dulcimers were 2nd to his fiddles, but I would very much like to buy back the dulcimer you have. Please email me and I'll give you my phone number.

His Grandson,
Mike Honaker
mthonaker@hotmail.com
Mthonaker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Mthonaker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:07 am

Chap,

Please call me regarding my Grandfather's (Richard D. Gardner) dulcimer.

(859) 533-7125
Mike Honaker
Mthonaker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Mike - you do realize that this discussion is over a year old, don't you? I would suggest sending the OP a PM....
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers