Tablature Creag Ghuanach (a. k. a. Mingulay Boat Song)

All strummers welcome!

Tablature Creag Ghuanach (a. k. a. Mingulay Boat Song)

Postby dholeton » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:40 pm

I had a version of Mingulay Boat Song complete with lyrics that I actually uploaded to the site in the tablature section. I had it removed after my investigation found that it is probably still under copyright. Hugh Roberton created the lyrics for Mingulay Boat Song in 1938 to go with his arrangement using Creag Ghuanach for the melody. Mingulay is an island in the outer Hebrides in Scotland. The island had been inhabited for thousands of years but the inhabitants abandoned the island in 1912. Roberton wrote lyrics to lament the time spent traveling to the island by boat.

The lyrics and sheet music for Mingulay Boat Song can be found in many places by searching the internet if you would like to use Roberton's lyrics. I'm not sure how those sites can post that information without copyright violation. Roberton died in 1952 and his son renewed the copyright in1965 and his son died in 2003. It appears The Music Sales Group might be holding the copyright and it appears even asking for permission to use the song is expensive and time consuming.

So, after rearranging to remove copyright lyrics, I uploaded Creag Ghuanach for DAA, DAA with noter, and DAD tunings. The melody for this version is derived from a 1908 publication Kilberry Book of Ceol Meadhonach by John and Archibald Campbell. The noter and DAD versions have harmonies for the refrain. The files contain the original lyrics from the poem that became the song (circa 1600 or 1700) and some other notes related to the inspiration for a mountain in Scotland. The original lyrics are more about the outdoors and hunting experiences near the crag.

Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Tablature Creag Ghuanach (a. k. a. Mingulay Boat Song)

Postby KenH » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Wow! Great info Dave. I learned this one from The Corries, and have played/sung it for years.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks Ken
I had a comment from someone on my Arran Boat Song video asking if I knew Mingulay Boat Song. I went on a journey reading everything I could find and it wound up being a search for all things Scottish (my great grandmother was born in Scotland). I was very inspired by the Corries version of Mingulay Boat Song and tried to make my version close to their version. The search for copyright-correctness brought me to Creag Ghuanach, which isn't about boats and water at all.
There might be some other versions of the tune, one with lyrics about an owl and another with lyrics about a hawk. Those appeared to be later in time from the original lyrics about a crag, so I didn't pursue those versions.
Dave
dholeton

Postby KenH » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Fun stuff -- digging into song backgrounds -- isn't it? I will be performing a half hour opening act for our local Americana Community Music Association, in August, and have put together an education performance of some of the Child Ballads showing how they evolved from the 15th-17th century into songs we know today -- The Elfin Knight morphing into Scarborough Fair for one, and Mattie Groves and Lady Barnard changing into Shade Grove for another.

Ballads were the original AudioBooks -- stories told to music -- and we' Anglo-Americans have taken some beautiful novels, and turned them into not just Readers Digest Condensed stories, but Cliff Notes versions of the stories.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:06 pm

I get lost for hours researching the background on songs. It's great when I think I found the story for a song (key word, think).
Dave
dholeton

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers