DDgd

All strummers welcome!

DDgd

Postby Bob Gerard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Have been trying my hand at chords for DDgd tuning. It is my favorite tuning with just the melody string played. It seems that the "A" string (next to the bass string) sounds a little "flat" on the first and second frets- is it my ears?
Bob Gerard
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: DDgd

Postby Skip » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:42 pm

I think you're tuned DGdd, bass to melody [double d is melody]. If you are using the same fingering as when playing DAdd, it will sound flat 'cause it is, more or less [it's not actually flat, just a totally different chord than expected]. The fingering [chord shapes] change. The MD's TUNING is now G, not D.The open strum is a G chord {G=GBD] and the open strum notes are DGd . What that translates to is the notes on the middle string are now one fret higher than when the string was at 'A'. So a D chord is now 010, for example and another 'G' is 023. Instead of ABC#DEF#GA you have GABCDEFG [frets 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7].
Skip
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby asterhunter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:12 am

We "discovered" DGdd tuning when my wife wanted to learn Black Cat Couldn't Catch A Rat. It's an easy re-tune, especially for the novice, just tune the middle string in unison to the bass string while holding the third fret down. This basically puts you in the key of G. A number of tunes are written or could be played in the key of G, and your church hymnal has a number of songs in the key of G or a close key such as F or A. Our hymnal puts "How Firm A Foundation" to a nineteenth century American folk hymn tune in G. Some months back, we accompanied the congregation singing this hymn with our dulcimers and it worked great.

David Elosser
asterhunter

Postby dholeton » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 am

Bob
If your description of flat means you know the notes and the chord structure, but the string just sounds a little flat, I've experienced the same thing when trying to tune the melody strings to G or lower than G (usually F like CGF and DAF tunings). I've tried using heavier gauge strings. I've also tried tuning the string to a given pitch while fretting it. For example, for DAF tuning and I'm playing a tune that ends on the 5th fret (D), I tune the string to D while fretted on the 5th fret. The tuning method from a given fret is okay for me for the melody string(s) as long as the song doesn't use the open melody string(s) very much.

For chords and since all or most of the frets will be important, a heavier string might reduce the problem. Shortening the VSL for the middle string might also be an option. Electric guitars have adjustable bridges to manage this condition.

Dave
dholeton

Postby Bob Gerard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Skip wrote:I think you're tuned DGdd, bass to melody [double d is melody]. If you are using the same fingering as when playing DAdd, it will sound flat 'cause it is, more or less [it's not actually flat, just a totally different chord than expected]. The fingering [chord shapes] change. The MD's TUNING is now G, not D.The open strum is a G chord {G=GBD] and the open strum notes are DGd . What that translates to is the notes on the middle string are now one fret higher than when the string was at 'A'. So a D chord is now 010, for example and another 'G' is 023. Instead of ABC#DEF#GA you have GABCDEFG [frets 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7].

I think I understand it now- and Yes, my 4 strings are set equidistant and the first string is a "D", the second string is also a "D" (same as the melody string), the third ("Middle") is a lower "g" (at 4th fret = open melody string "D"), and the base/4th string is the lower octave "d".
It shows I never learned music theory !! Thanks you all for your help. And I am glad to know my frets are not off 8)
Bob Gerard
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Bob Gerard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:03 pm

dholeton wrote:Bob
If your description of flat means you know the notes and the chord structure, but the string just sounds a little flat, I've experienced the same thing when trying to tune the melody strings to G or lower than G (usually F like CGF and DAF tunings). I've tried using heavier gauge strings. I've also tried tuning the string to a given pitch while fretting it. For example, for DAF tuning and I'm playing a tune that ends on the 5th fret (D), I tune the string to D while fretted on the 5th fret. The tuning method from a given fret is okay for me for the melody string(s) as long as the song doesn't use the open melody string(s) very much.

For chords and since all or most of the frets will be important, a heavier string might reduce the problem. Shortening the VSL for the middle string might also be an option. Electric guitars have adjustable bridges to manage this condition.

Dave

Dave, "Shortening the VSL for the middle string might also be an option" I was actually thinking about this!
Bob Gerard
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby dholeton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:54 pm

For drone strings, I've found the drones can be tuned very low and all is fine. But if I want to fret those strings, the frets are not in a good position for those low tuned strings. For my next instrument that I might want to play chords, I hope to arrange an adjustable bridge similar to the electric guitars. I don't want to use metal and I haven't figured out yet how to arrange the bridge with wood and bone and screws to allow for adjusting bone bridge components. One of us will figure it out sooner or later and hopefully we'll post some pictures here.
Dave
dholeton

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers