I have mastered Lesson #1

All strummers welcome!

I have mastered Lesson #1

Postby PhilC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:04 pm

I have mastered Lesson #1, I can confidently recognize on which side the strings are mounted and that these should be facing up :D
I suspect that this is an old joke but, hay, I'm a newbie and I found it funny.

I have actually been able to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and have my wife recognize it which is a great leap forward from, "That's nice dear but I'm trying to watch the TV". From this you may gather that my musical ability is somewhat sparse.

I have no pride, I will be asking dumb questions, it's the only way I'm going to be able to learn. So with that in mind, I see that the song "You Are My Sunshine" ( http://www.oldtimeozarks.com/uploads/You_Are_My_Sunshine_D_-_dulcimer_with_words.pdf ) is in 4/4 time, what strum pattern would work with this?

"dum did dee", is "did dee" two beats or two half beats?

ps. I am also attending the University of YouTube which is an outstanding resource. My thanks for all of you who take the trouble to post there, it is much appreciated.
PhilC
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: I have mastered Lesson #1

Postby Skip » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Just play it as shown, one strum per note. You can add embellishments later. These are the fancy strum patterns usually replacing 1/2 notes or larger. Quarter and half notes are usually one strum. Two eighth notes usually an out/in or in/out.The 4/4 does't necessarily point to a strum pattern, it is indicating the value [beat] of the notes in a measure, in this case 4 quarter notes [or equivalent]/measure 1-2-3-4 or 1-2-3-4 [for half notes] for example [pluck the underlined only]. If it were 3/4, 3 quarter notes/measure, it would be 1-2-3 [waltz].
Skip
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers