TABS for Raffele/Scherrzither

All strummers welcome!

TABS for Raffele/Scherrzither

Postby MikeSz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 am

Hello,

I'm hoping someone may know where I may be able to find either TABS or "dots" (notes) for the relative of the MD, the Raffele (a/k/a Scherrzither)??

Typically tuned DAA with a fret layout similar to a MD, albeit, it's quite a smaller instrument.

I'm hoping to simply tune the MD to DAA and learn a few pieces, but having difficulty finding anything on the internet.

Any clues??

Thanks!
MikeSz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: TABS for Raffele/Scherrzither

Postby dholeton » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:30 am

Mike
If your Raffele looks like the one in this video, then I think it will work for many of the Mountain Dulcimer tunings and tablature.

The frets appear to be very high, so playing takes a different touch when fretting the strings. I'm not sure how a noter might sound with the high frets. The videos I saw show more of a chord/melody style of playing.

If you're looking for European tunes, there are several in the tablature section here on Everything Dulcimer. A few tablature files with both DAA and DAD tuning arrangements are:

Steve Smith added Er Is Een Kindeke Geboran Op Aard, a Christmas tune.
Steve and I both added Du Du Liegst Mir Im Herzen, a German folk tune.
I added Muss I Denn, another German folk tune.

I expect there are many additional tablature files here that will play nicely on the Raffele. So, I hope these suggestions give you a place to start.

Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby MikeSz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks -

I'm familiar with those three tunes - I play them finger-style on MD, but I'm looking more for traditional Raffele/Scherrzither tunes (Boarischer, Schottisch, Landler, etc.).

Yeah, from what I understand the frets are placed rather high on the Raffele - like a zither. I'm also told noter style playing doesn't work on these; it's more a finger style very similar to a regular zither.
MikeSz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dholeton » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm intrigued with the differences between the Raffele and the dulcimer. We use the phrase "DAA tuning" and supposedly the instrument in the video is in a DAA tuning, but I struggle to match the Raffele exactly when trying to play along with my DAA dulcimer. It is so neat in that the instrument plays a wonderful dance tune and at the same time I'm aggrivated by not being able to match it on a DAA dulcimer (as good as I think I should).

So, I wandered around the internet to learn more about the Raffele and found this link which appears to have some Raffele tablature. If you click on the Raffele Schule picture, it allows viewing the pages in the book.

http://www.stretta-music.com/paul-volkstuemliche-raffele-schule-nr-407764.html

Right now, the tablature looks a little complicated and I would be happy to just be able to play along with the youtube video.

Dave
dholeton

Postby MikeSz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 am

Oh, sweet! At least I can get an idea of what the tablature looks like.

Yeah, it's almost like you should capo the dulcimer so you're playing an octave higher.

The tabs do look a bit odd - the higher the note the lower the number - seems it should be the other way round. Unless the numbers go right to left as opposed to left to right down the fret board, but that seems just od and not right.

I suspect, where there is just one or two numbers, the idea is to strum across all strings with the ones not fretted acting as drones.

I'll have to try and figure it out - the first page talk about basic music essentials re the scale, second page is strumming technique at the top and left hand technique at the bottom. It seems the left hand's position is very similar to a regular zither, but I suspect, like a MD, it's whatever works best.

If I can figure it out, I'll post something - may take a few days given my current schedule :)

Thanks for the link!!
MikeSz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby MikeSz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 am

Should have added - to hear what the pieces sound like, you'd probably have to find them on youtube and hear the tune. I'm thinking the tabs may make a bit more sense once you know how the tune goes.
MikeSz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby MikeSz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 am

Well, oaky - the numbers are not a TAB - it's the fingers on the left hand, i.e. it's showing the fingering (thumb is 1, ring finger 4).

That said, if the thing is tuned DAA, it's a matter of tabbing it out yourself. At least it shows the notes played so you can tab it out.

I think that's sort of typical for European music books - you're kind of expected to know the notes and where they're located on the fret board (Tabs would be kind of cheating). Like playing classical guitar - you're supposed to reads the music, not learn from tabs.
MikeSz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dholeton » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Mike
I think hearing what the tune is supposed to sound like is very important too. I took one of the first songs from the link, "Die Frischen Tirolerbaub'n", and input it into my music editing software. I input the C version, then made a D version. Attached are pdf files and midi files of the tune. If you print the pdf files, you should have space for writing tablature or other notes in learning the tune. I hope this helps and I'm looking forward to hearing something on the Raffele.

Dave

P. S. In trying to translate Die Frischen Tirolerbaub'n, it might be something like "The Fresh Tirolean Tree". Or, at least that's the best I could derive with Google translate.
Attachments
Die_Frischen_Tirolerbuabn_D.pdf
Die Frischen Tirolerbaub'n in D
(13.25 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

[ Play Quicktime file ] Die_Frischen_Tirolerbuabn_D.mid [ 1.87 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] Die_Frischen_Tirolerbuabn.mid [ 1.87 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]

Die_Frischen_Tirolerbuabn.pdf
Die Frischen Tirolerbaub'n in C
(12.38 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
dholeton

Postby MikeSz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks - I'll check it out.

I was graciously sent by an Andi Pirschner, a Raffele player in Austria (a lot of his stuff is on YouTube), a copy of a booklet with about 20 pieces in it specifically for Raffele. Some of the pieces have two staffs; Raffele on top and another accompanying instrument on the bottom. Chords are also given for guitar accompaniment.

They are all notated with standard notation - TABS just aren't all that popular; you're supposed to know where the notes are on the fret board. It would be a matter of tabbing the pieces out. I'm going to try and do that to a few and see how it goes.

From the intro in the booklet, the playing technique is to strum across all strings regardless of whether just one note or three are in the notation.

I still have to get them printed off and scanned into one 'file' - once done, I'll upload it here.
MikeSz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby MikeSz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:24 am

As promised - here's a copy of the booklet graciously sent by Andi Pirschner, a Raffele player in Austria.

Tuning is a'-a'-d'. The pieces here have been notated in an easier fashion; all three strings are strummed even when not notated as such.
Attachments
Raffele Stückln.pdf
(2.2 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
MikeSz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby MikeSz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:09 pm

What I've noticed in tabbing out the forst piece (Zwergerl Marsch - Gnome March) is that, to play this on a MD, will demand some good stretches; not sure they'll all be possible. The Raffele is much smaller so a stretch from 2nd fret on the 'd' string to 10th fret on the 'a' string (with the 7th fret played on the other 'a' string) is much easier.
MikeSz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers