TAB for Wildwood Flower

All strummers welcome!

TAB for Wildwood Flower

Postby bret » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:01 pm

In all of Folkcraft's dulcimer demonstrations, they play two songs Shenandoah and Wildwood Flower. I'd like to learn to play Wildwood Flower and I've found a number of tabs named "Wildwood Flower", but it seems to be a completely unrelated tune. Does anyone know of a tab for this version or something close (Wildwood Flower starts at 2:05):

bret
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: TAB for Wildwood Flower

Postby bradleyi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Bret, the player on the Folkcraft demo is playing a somewhat stylized version of the tune. If you look at the two versions in the ED tab section, the Steve Smith version is the exact "base" tune, whereas Ron Zuckerman's is a bit more stylized, but they're both the exact same tune as what the player on the demo is using. If you learn Steve Smith's version and then listen to the demo you'll be able to hear the tune nestled amongst all the embellishing notes.
bradleyi
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby bret » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks for that! I hadn't realized ED had a tab section. The version I found is very similar to the one Steve Smith did. (It was on the Colorado Dulcimer Festival site). For some reason, with that rhythm it didn't click as being the same tune. The version by Ron Zukerman sounds a bit closer to what I was looking for, but is played a little higher up.

Looking at the score, I can see it's just splitting the half notes in a quarter note and 2 eighth notes, but it didn't click when I tried to play the slower version. :D I was really looking for that bum-ditty-bum-bum cadence :D

I think I can piece something together now with those pointers. Thanks again!
bret
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:22 pm

Bret -- you should probably avoid the whole bum-ditty thing with a tune like Wildwood Flower; the tune is a lot cleaner when played 'straight' without all the splitting of notes just to fill in between things. The space between notes is just as important as the notes themselves. Dulcimer players seem to get bored easily and want to break whole notes into sixteenths nd other nonsense...
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby bret » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 am

KenH wrote:Bret -- you should probably avoid the whole bum-ditty thing with a tune like Wildwood Flower; the tune is a lot cleaner when played 'straight' without all the splitting of notes just to fill in between things. The space between notes is just as important as the notes themselves. Dulcimer players seem to get bored easily and want to break whole notes into sixteenths nd other nonsense...

I'm coming at it from a different point of view I think. I like the tune in the video and want to learn to play that version. That's the only way I've encountered it and it really is the upbeat rhythm that attracted me to the song. I'm sure the base tune is attractive to others, but I probably wouldn't be looking for the TAB if he'd played the version that's basically half-quarter-quarter notes throughout. It's just a case of liking this particular version/embellishment of the song.
bret
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby philips » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:58 am

Here's another version (just to annoy KenH ha ha ha)
http://www.picosong.com/w3SCB
philips
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Robin the Busker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:05 am

I'm with you Ken :lol:

I quite like the old time sound of the simple boom-chick rhythm behind the piece rather than anything more syncopated - the way the Carter Family played it:

I've just had a quick go at the tune in this style on my 1980 old Warren May dulcimer in DAA (well nearer EBB - I didn't have a tuner to hand :mrgreen: ). Noter drone for the melody and simple chord chop backing.

P1120294.JPG

PS: Isn't it funny how today you can play noter drone with chord backing and it sounds OK? Five years ago folks were convinced that noter drone didn't 'fit' with chorded instruments - luckily the dulcimer has recently evolved backwards so it's all OK again like it was pre-1960. And another thing - those old Warren May dulcimers don't play in tune at all coz he used to use Homer Ledford's just intonation fret pattern. But I think we must have different air here in Wales than you do in the USA as it seems to have 'sweetened' the intonation on that old May dulcimer and made it play in tune 8) The funny thing is that the same Welsh air throws my new Folkcraft and McSpadden dulcimers out of intonation in 1-5-5 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robin the Busker
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:30 pm

I think you're right about that "northern" air. We went on holiday to Findochty and other parts of Scotland, and I noticed that "sweetening" effect on music, whiskey, and food in particular.... Mind you, the frigid temperatures (10 C to 12 C) like to froze this South Florida swamp runners ears off! Nice place to avoid a hurricane though.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Robin the Busker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Nice place to avoid a hurricane though.....

Up until yesterday I would have a agreed with you. But we got a spanking here on the West coast of Wales from Ophelia yesterday and it hit the West coast Scotland this morning :shock: It is the furthest east a hurricane has formed, although it was only storm force here in Wales. Just before the winds arrived the temperature was about 20C and the depression sucked dust north from the Sahara giving us a very strange red sun. We had breakfast out in the garden, it was like being in Morocco. Back down to 8C now - I've got the wood stove fired up!!!

Ophelia sun - 16 oct 17a.jpg

Robin
Robin the Busker
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Daniel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Here's a highly musical and challenging video of the tune; he gets really really fancy about half way through, and it's all solo on just 1 dulcimer.

It's had nearly a quarter million views, so obviously a lot of folks like it. Stephen Seifert is brilliant.

Daniel
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers