String/Note-Bending with baritone-gauge strings....ouch!

All strummers welcome!

String/Note-Bending with baritone-gauge strings....ouch!

Postby Wellspringsing » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:28 am

BS"D

Hello again all,

So I've just switched to baritone-gauge strings (as per the advice of my dulcimer's builder) and I am finding, to my unpleasant surprise, that string/note-bending has become quite difficult with the heavier strings! Is this something that will get easier with time, or will I just be setting myself for pain and injury?

Yikes!
Wellspringsing
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: String/Note-Bending with baritone-gauge strings....ouch!

Postby KenH » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 am

It will get easier with time and experience. Best, perhaps to find another tuning which goes not require string bending except for an occasional "accidental". If you're having to bend more than once or twice in a tune, you need to find another tuning which contains the notes you aren't finding.

Look at a variety of Mountain Dulcimer Fret Charts to find tunings that encompass the notes you are trying to find. Or skip the occasional accidental entirely by gracing over it. The sound between two notes is as important as the notes themselves.

Still, bending a dulcimer string is not harder than bending a guitar string...
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Ken Bloom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 am

When bending a string, you will have much more control and it will be a lot easier if you use more than one finger to do it. You can also place your thumb against the side of the staff so you have something to support the bend. Try this and see if it doesn't help.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Ken Bloom
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Wellspringsing » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks very much, all. I will have to try out what you said. The bending is more for stretching the boundaries in writing songs, which is what I use the dulcimer for.
Wellspringsing
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers