How often do you use frets above 10?

All strummers welcome!

Re: How often do you use frets above 10?

Postby KenH » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:18 am

Asterhunter mentioned the narrow spacing between the higher frets. It's a good think about playing Notre & Drone that even a fat noter has little trouble getting a clean fretting up high, where the bare fingers of chord players really have problems up there.

Perhaps that's another reason for the adoption of DAd back during The Revival -- the advent of chord playing plus DAd starting on the open fret, let them save their tender fingers :D :roll: ;)
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby strumelia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 am

KenH has a good point. Having played with both fingers/chording and noter styles, I can say it's definitely easier to play on the high frets (fets 10 and above) with a noter rather than fingers- easier physically and a little easier to get clear notes.
And Ken's other point- if you consider the usual range of a tune may lie between the tonic/key note and the same note one octave up:
In DAd that means most of the melody string scale notes played would typically fall between the open string (zero fret) and the 7th fret.
In DAC (aeolian) the usual melody string scale range falls between the 1st fret and the 8th.
In DAA (ionian) it's between the 3rd and 10th fret.
In DAG (dorian) it's between the 4th and 11th fret.

Lots of beginner or semi-experienced players are intimidated by frets above the 7th fret, so yes I'd think it's probably one of the reasons people like to remain in DAd tuning and keep the 'location' of the tune on the fretboard way down among the wider spaced frets they feel most comfortable with.
strumelia
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Jellybean » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:19 am

I rarely play above 18 :roll:
Jellybean
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby GrantOlson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Uh, yeeeeeeeeah...my dulcimer goes to 15 :roll: :D
Grant
GrantOlson
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Previous

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers