What dulcimer do you play the most

All strummers welcome!

Re: What dulcimer do you play the most

Postby Sam E. » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:13 pm

The majority of my playing happens on my two Ewing standard dulcimers.

The first has 0+, 1+, and 8+ frets. (And of course 6+ and 13+.) The second is fully chromatic -- for songs that require notes that the other doesn't have.

For singing purposes, I also have baritone equivalents of both of the above. And I have an electric equivalent of the first one I mentioned above. in any given week, depending on what songs I'm doing or what gigs are coming up, any of these might predominate for a while.

Sam
Sam E.
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby HD-Luers » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:58 pm

The dulcimer I play the most is a Folkcraft teardrop all cherry built in 86. I normally play in CGC, CFC, DGD or DAD. I love the deeper sound. My Folkcraft sound more like Walnut than as it's warm, Mmello, yet punchy. Not a typical bright, lively as cherry is known for. I love it!!! My number 2 is the one I started with. A Sweet Wood Student Birch, made by David Lynch, is normally played in DAD. I like playing with 3 strings evenly spaced even though both could be played as a 4 string string. I play every day and have progressed pretty well over the past year, although shifting and.playing with multiple fingers is one weakness. I am however enjoying the challenge, the sound and my time with my dulcimers.
HD-Luers
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Tony » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Belated Merry Christmas and wishes for the new year. My go to dulcimer is Mike Clemmer, church model. In addition i play a couple of Tom Yocky's and three Mize instruments. Thanks for your kind attention.
Tony

Postby frets alot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 am

The two I use the most are my Doug Berch custom with a passive pick-up and my custom FolkCraft with a galax back. The Berch has a sassafras top and walnut back, the Folkcraft has a butternut top with a walnut back.
frets alot
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Tony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:15 pm

I play mostly a Mike Clemmer Church Model
Tony

Postby DulciBiker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Great question. Thanks for posing it.
The question presumes many of us have more than one dulcimer, I presume due to dulcimer acquisition disorder :D .

I play with a noter.
I play a traditional dulcimer by Dan Cox in DAA at home some. It has such a distinctive sweet voice for hymns.
A Jean Ritchie model Blue Lion in DAA with the club of which I am a part meeting weekly.
A McSpadden 3 string in DAA some of the time.
And a deeper bodied dulcimer by David Lynch many times with 4 equidistant strings tuned to DAdA for a fuller drone sound.

Any of them other than the Dan Cox traditional will sometimes be tuned DAd and played with a noter if the music goes too high on the fretboard in DAA.

As far as which one the most: that would be the Blue Lion. Sometimes the mood or the music seeks the the voice of one of the others though.
DulciBiker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers