What dulcimer do you play the most

All strummers welcome!

Re: What dulcimer do you play the most

Postby Sam E. » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:13 pm

The majority of my playing happens on my two Ewing standard dulcimers.

The first has 0+, 1+, and 8+ frets. (And of course 6+ and 13+.) The second is fully chromatic -- for songs that require notes that the other doesn't have.

For singing purposes, I also have baritone equivalents of both of the above. And I have an electric equivalent of the first one I mentioned above. in any given week, depending on what songs I'm doing or what gigs are coming up, any of these might predominate for a while.

Sam
Sam E.
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby HD-Luers » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:58 pm

The dulcimer I play the most is a Folkcraft teardrop all cherry built in 86. I normally play in CGC, CFC, DGD or DAD. I love the deeper sound. My Folkcraft sound more like Walnut than as it's warm, Mmello, yet punchy. Not a typical bright, lively as cherry is known for. I love it!!! My number 2 is the one I started with. A Sweet Wood Student Birch, made by David Lynch, is normally played in DAD. I like playing with 3 strings evenly spaced even though both could be played as a 4 string string. I play every day and have progressed pretty well over the past year, although shifting and.playing with multiple fingers is one weakness. I am however enjoying the challenge, the sound and my time with my dulcimers.
HD-Luers
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Tony » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Belated Merry Christmas and wishes for the new year. My go to dulcimer is Mike Clemmer, church model. In addition i play a couple of Tom Yocky's and three Mize instruments. Thanks for your kind attention.
Tony

Postby frets alot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 am

The two I use the most are my Doug Berch custom with a passive pick-up and my custom FolkCraft with a galax back. The Berch has a sassafras top and walnut back, the Folkcraft has a butternut top with a walnut back.
frets alot
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Tony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:15 pm

I play mostly a Mike Clemmer Church Model
Tony

Postby DulciBiker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Great question. Thanks for posing it.
The question presumes many of us have more than one dulcimer, I presume due to dulcimer acquisition disorder :D .

I play with a noter.
I play a traditional dulcimer by Dan Cox in DAA at home some. It has such a distinctive sweet voice for hymns.
A Jean Ritchie model Blue Lion in DAA with the club of which I am a part meeting weekly.
A McSpadden 3 string in DAA some of the time.
And a deeper bodied dulcimer by David Lynch many times with 4 equidistant strings tuned to DAdA for a fuller drone sound.

Any of them other than the Dan Cox traditional will sometimes be tuned DAd and played with a noter if the music goes too high on the fretboard in DAA.

As far as which one the most: that would be the Blue Lion. Sometimes the mood or the music seeks the the voice of one of the others though.
DulciBiker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby HEWalker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 am

I play a "no name" suspected Washburn 36.5" tuned to DAD. I have been in contact with Washburn guitars and we are both doing the research now. I recently acquired it and omg it is amazing! We (as a family) have around 20 choices. My second go to is a Sweet Woods by David Lynch tuned to DAA-The sound and playability is so nice we bought a second. Hubby has a David Lynch as well. Third favorite is a no name Bass dulcimer. This is the only Bass so it is tuned according to need! We have many sizes and shapes and each is very unique in sound, shape and playability!
HEWalker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby John Shaw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:25 am

I have two dulcimers made by Arthur Robb, a superb American luthier who has lived and worked here in England for the last 40 years (or nearly). They are both simple hourglass designs - an alpine spruce and mahogany one, bought in 1981, and a cedar and cherry one from 1983. They are really rich and responsive instruments which have been my favourites over the years, with the first one just shading it as my absolute favourite.

However, just over 3 years ago I bought a 1990 Warren May all poplar MD which is making a strong challenge! Just intonation, no 6+ fret, and plangent tone which is bright and mellow at the same time. It's glorious!

John Shaw.
John Shaw

Postby Tony » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 am

Hello All, My go to dulcimer is a Mike Clemmer, Church Model. I also play on three Mize dulcimers. Mostly tuned DAD or DAA. Thanks for your attention. Peace
Tony

Previous

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers