When I Was In My Prime Tablature

All strummers welcome!

When I Was In My Prime Tablature

Postby dholeton » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:15 pm

I uploaded two versions of "When I Was In My Prime" to the tablature section here on Everything Dulcimer. One version is in DAG tuning and intended to be played only on the melody string(s) (the LISTEN file is played with a noter). The other version is for CGC tuning. Nina Simone, Pentangle, Anuna, and several others have posted YouTube videos of the song. The lyrics are in the female vernacular in most versions I've found so far and I play/sing the tune with my own lyrics (instead of the original lyrics).

Listed are some background and history notes for the song.

Some information indicates the song may have been derived from Fleetwood Habergam's "Seeds of Love" composed in 1689.

https://books.google.com/books?id=B1tI8sPaqBwC&pg=PA243&lpg=PA243&dq=seeds+of+love+fleetwood+habergam+when+i+was+in+my+prime&source=bl&ots=3MbHVofFOZ&sig=_rsNAbWa9AOK7b_rjmI3j6qrgnk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI7PnG4MjYAhVL6VMKHeJCAyEQ6AEINTAC#v=onepage&q=seeds%20of%20love%20fleetwood%20habergam%20when%20i%20was%20in%20my%20prime&f=false

"Seeds of Love" may have been derived from a version of "Sprig Of Thyme".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sprig_of_Thyme

In August, 1943, Helen Creighton recorded Ben Henneberry and Enos Hartland singing the song in Nova Scotia. Helen researched many traditional folk songs and traditions in Canada and some refer to her as "Canada's first lady of folklore".

https://auspace.athabascau.ca/bitstream/handle/2149/1643/Helen_Creighton.pdf;jsessionid=C6D29822AEC5EA58F6E82A3F512BD74D?sequence=1

Thanks
Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: When I Was In My Prime Tablature

Postby dholeton » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:06 pm

I was looking for the traditional roots of MacDougall's Pride and decided to see if it may have been anything Helen Creighton may have encountered in her research. I didn't find anything on MacDougall's Pride (yet), but I found this wonderful video of Helen meeting with local people to record local traditional tunes. Maybe there are other similar recordings, but this is the first one that I have found that gives more information on what it was like for people who were collecting traditional songs in days gone by. I'm thinking Helen recorded Ben Henneberry and Enos Hartland singing "When I Was In My Prime" in the same way as she recorded the singers in this video.

Dave
dholeton

Re: When I Was In My Prime Tablature

Postby dholeton » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:17 pm

Gordon Lightfoot recorded a song she brought out of the countryside and into the public.

Dave
dholeton

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers