""MacDougall's Pride" tab?

All strummers welcome!

""MacDougall's Pride" tab?

Postby Chicago Sandy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:24 pm

I've just been asked to play the traditional Cape Breton tune "MacDougall's Pride" as the processional for a friend's wedding in June (so I've plenty of time to learn and practice it). It's the version recorded by Ashley MacIsaac (on his "Hi, How Are You Today?" album); fortunately, the violin has the lead line which will be played on oboe. The part I'll be playing on dulcimer is the guitar accompaniment on the recording, with some counterpoints and tonic curveballs (such as they are in Mixolydian) thrown in. Before I tackle the standard notation and wrestle it into a semblance of tablature, does anyone here have tab for it? It's not been uploaded to this site, but there's no harm in asking. I'm wondering if, before I resort to my chromatic dulcimer (which I always find confusing to play), I can lay two dulcimers side by side on the stand to be able to tackle chords & partials not available on either one alone--I've done that for the Beatles' "If I Needed Someone." (I could play it on guitar, but the groom specifically requested I play mountain dulcimer).
Chicago Sandy
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: ""MacDougall's Pride" tab?

Postby dholeton » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Sandy
I'll really be surprised if you find dulcimer tab on this one if it is the same song in the same key(s) as at this site:

https://play.riffstation.com/chords-tabs/ashley-macisaac-macdougalls-pride/PUBCoukhtQE

(This looks like a great site for learning to play chords on a song if it has the song you want to learn).

I'll throw out some thoughts and maybe it will inspire some ideas from others.

It looks like the chords required are Eb, Ab, Bbm, D, G, Am, Bm, C, Em, and F7.

A mountain dulcimer tuned CGG can play the G, Am, C, Em, and F (no F7) chords each in more than one place.
A form of a D chord (has two notes of the chord) can be played with 4 1 1 and a full D (although inverted) can be played at 6+ 4 5.
A form of a Bm chord can be played at 2 2 1 and 9 9 8.
All of these possibilities assume the chord forms on given places on the CGG fret board will sound okay for the song. Inverted chords or chords that don't have the root for the bass note of the chord may or may not sound okay in places (many times the guitar is playing the root note as the bass note of each chord).

A second mountain dulcimer tuned Eb Bb Bb can play the Eb and Ab chords and maybe a form of a Bbm chord. EB and Ab can be played using chord forms from the CGG tuning (C = Eb and F = Ab). A form of the Bbm chord can be played by playing 0 0 1. A form of an F chord can be played by barring the first fret and a full F can be played at 8 6+ 8.

Some of the chord transitions are real quick and may only require a note or two for that interval. Moving between two instruments might not be fast enough for some of the changes.

Everything above looks real messy for the flat chords. I'm thinking it would be a lot easier to just play chords with a chromatic dulcimer. Also, I can see why a chromatic might be confusing, there are too many notes!

Attached is a chord chart for a mountain dulcimer in CGG tuning (CGG or 155 tuning is my preference for chords on a dulcimer). The chart assumes all frets are whole numbers (no half frets). If you have sheet music with the chords, maybe you can find chords in the chart that sound good for the tune.

Best of Luck
Dave
Attachments
Chromatic_Dulcimer_Chord_Chart.pdf
Chromatic Dulcimer Chord Chart in CGG tuning
(14.2 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Chicago Sandy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:40 am

Thanks, Dave. My concerns are, unfortunately, well-founded. The groom who has requested I play this on mt. dulcimer is a guitarist, and a virtuoso at that. I will meet with the oboist who is playing the melody line and see if she's willing to transpose it to make some of the chords more accessible for a dulcimer, or if I can leave some out or play a single note. I am loath to use my chromatic--it's a rather ugly student model, and in order to avoid confusion I found I had to mark the diatonic frets with a Sharpie (which, I found to my chagrin after the one gig at which I I played the chromatic, is not as indelible as advertised--especially with sweaty fingertips).

I'm lucky to have two standard 4-stringers, a standard 6, a 4 and a 6-string baritone, and a couple of "Gingers."

I must confess that though I first learned Ionian, it's been decades since I played in any tuning other than Mixolydian (except for the couple of workshops I took from David Massengill who uses an inverted variant). I suppose that's why I've got six months to try and pull this off!

Again, thanks so much for the chord chart--I will get cracking on it!
Chicago Sandy
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dholeton » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:49 am

Now I'm wondering if the version I heard on riffstation will be the one you're going to play. I found this version and it doesn't have any flat chords and most of the chords can be played or faked with a DAD dulcimer.
http://nedlog.org/Meritfest2005/Macdougall--score.pdf

If this is the version you'll be playing, this just got a lot less complicated.

Also, for procession, you might not need to play the whole tune and/or you may need to create an ending somewhere in the middle of the tune based on how long the procession is expected to take.

Dave
dholeton

Postby Chicago Sandy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:13 pm

Dave, thanks ever so much! The sheet music you found might well be the same one that the groom sent the oboist and I have requested he send me. If so, that would be a major relief. The groom also says it's fine if I find guitar more convenient (I think as he walks down the aisle his mind will be on something other than the music). We've all agreed that due to the size of the wedding party we're going to be editing the piece anyway. Will let you know how it all turns out. (But this has me contemplating a new workshop topic for Gebhard Woods this year).
Chicago Sandy
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dholeton » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:50 am

Here's hoping.

I still can't find how the tune originated. It's being called "traditional" in several places but usually I can find some information about its roots. I'm just not finding it on MacDougall's Pride.

Dave
dholeton

Postby Chicago Sandy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:59 pm

The groom's mom (my BFF) is Nova Scotian, and they both are huge MacIsaac (and Stan Rogers) fans. MacIsaac does record both traditional and original tunes, so it might br logical to assume the song is traditional.
Chicago Sandy
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers