Ron Ewing Dulcimers

All strummers welcome!

Postby folkfan » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:51 am

Never played a 6 string dulcimette, but I bet it packs a wow of a sound. Happy to have you aboard, catzRus. By the name I'm going to assume you're another cat lover. Play on, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:33 pm

Welcome, catzRus! It's good to have you aboard here at ED. I look forward to your participation in our discussions. It sounds like you have quite a lot of experience and expertise to offer this group.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Ron Ewing Mountain Dulcimers

Postby Lois Hornbostel » Mon May 09, 2005 8:51 am

5/9/05 I've owned about 7 Ron Ewing dulcimers, which have included a "Dulcimette" (high D), an "Octave Dulcimette" (high G or A), a Baritone (low G or A). I love 'em. They have good volume, good articulation and response, good sustain, and unlike most mountain dulcimers have a wide dynamic range (soft to loud responses). The Baritone is the most "emotional" dulcimer I've ever played because you can "make it talk." There will be a luthier profile on Ron Ewing in the upcoming (June) issue of www.DulcimerSessions.com. Ron also builds hammered dulcimers.
Lois Hornbostel
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Ron Ewing Dulcimers

Postby GrantOlson » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 pm

I am aware that this thread is now 13 years old but it seemed better than starting a new one. I just wanted to know that the VSL of Ron Ewings dulcimettes are. On his website it says the baritone dulcimette has a string length of 21 inches, but doesn't say what the regular dulcimette is.
Also, just for fun, I have wanted one of his dulcimettes but can't justify the price right now...instead, I built my own! Just a stick and I'll put a cardboard box on it later, but it plays well and is very fun.
Grant
GrantOlson
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Judy K » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:14 am

Grant, I have 2 dulcimettes and a baritone dulcimette. The VSL on the dulcimette beside me measures a bit under 18". It has a floating bridge and I won't swear it hasn't been bumped to account for the 'bit under'.

One of my dulcimettes has no extra frets (other than the 6+); hourglass in walnut & cedar with ebony overlay on fret board. If you are interested in one at very fair price, send me a PM. I don't play this one often.
Judy K

Postby Dusty Turtle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:15 pm

Officially, Ron Ewing lists the VSL of the dulcimette as 17.5 inches and the VSL of the baritone dulcimette as 21 inches. The dulcimette is a true octave dulcimer, tuned an octave above a standard dulcimer, and the baritone dulcimer is tuned in the range of a Ginger, meaning a fourth or fifth above a standard dulcimer to G or A.
Dusty Turtle

Postby DulciBiker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:51 pm

I owned a Ron Ewing standard size dulcimer which he made for me in 2004 ( I think it was). Craftsmanship and sound are both superb in all respects. I enjoyed it very much. The only reason I sold mine (2017) was that I had changed to play noter drone style and needed a higher fretboard as I hold the noter "underhanded" and my knuckles were dragging the sound board. Mine played well in DAdd, DAA, and in DAdA with 4 equidistant strings. Ron told me he plays sometimes in a Galax tuning with his instruments. A friend now has it and raves constantly about it. I don't think you can go wrong. I found him great to work with. I feel sure someone on this site has one and you might be able to hear it played if that lucky owner will respond and upload a sound clip.

He made me a dulcimette with 6 strings once. Like the other one, it was a beauty and of equally high quality in all regards. I found I was not playing it as much and donated it to be auctioned off by NGFDA for their scholarship fund to help youngsters get and learn to play a dulcimer

Hope that helps.
The image included is from his website. However, based on the distinctive burl in the strum hollow and the shading of the soundboard colors from foot to head, this one may be the one which he made for me.
Attachments
Ron Ewing Dulcimer.jpg
DulciBiker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers