Christmas Tunes

All strummers welcome!

Christmas Tunes

Postby Mike Sz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:13 pm

Hello all, I saw this thread in the HD section, but thought it might be interesting for MD players as well. I don't know about others, but I'm always looking for new holiday tunes Smile My main interest is more ethnic carols. Below are some of my favorites to play: Stille Nacht Es ist ein' Rose entsprungen Ihr Kinderlein kommet Still, Still, Still Es ist sho' kei Dumpa Jannette Isabelle Il est né Dzisiaj w Betlejem Plus the usual assorted English carols, but the early ones are more my favorite! Mike S Manchester, NH
Mike Sz
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby missy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:20 pm

Our server is down right now (it's in Florida, so probably due to Wilma) but Tom has a version of Silent Night that he transposed off of the original sheet music. Besides some of the ones you already mentioned, I've been known to play: Patapan The Wren Song Edi Beo Greensleeves Masters of the Hall And we have on our CD that we STILL don't know the origin of called "Shoes for Baby Jesus".
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm

There is also: Little Drummer Boy I Wonder As I Wander Most of the usual Christmas carols and one I picked up along the way called Snow Covered Ridge.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby JAGinSunnyland » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:32 pm

I like the sound on minor tunes...so What Child is This, and the Coventry Carol are on the list. Given the list you already have, I was wondering if you have listened to the Carol Album: Seven Centuries of Christmas Music.
JAGinSunnyland

Postby Mike Sz » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:54 am

Missy, I noticed one of the tunes you indicated was "Edi Beo" - could this be the same tune as the Middle English carol which goes (in Middle English) Edi be thu heofan queen, folkes frofre and engles bliss, maide unwemmed , moder clene switch in worlde non other nis....." If it's the same one, did you find the TAB for it somewhere or just come up with it on your own? Thanks, Mike S Manchester, NH
Mike Sz

Postby missy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:05 am

I have no words for it - it's a "lilting" type song, however.... I originally got the TAB from my first dulcimer teacher, who is also a Celtic harper. I'll see if Tom can TAB it out and put it on our site (when it's back up and running). It may be a day or two before he can get to it.
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Christmas tunes

Postby dulciken » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:08 am

Joe Collins has a nice version of Come, all Ye Shepards up on his site now. Let all mortal flesh keep silent is another good, ancient minory sounding one.
dulciken

Postby Mike Sz » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:43 pm

Ah..OK. Probably not the one I'm thinking of then, but if it's not too much trouble to TAB out I'm sure it'll make a nice addition to the repertoire! Thanks. Speaking of old carols - anyone know if there are any books, TABS, etc. (particularly something that might be available on line) for Christmas tunes from the Renaisance and Middle Ages? Mike S
Mike Sz

Postby Kathy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:07 pm

Hi Mike, Welcome to ED :) Here are some that might interest you. SOUNDS OF THE SEASON Sounds of the Season II Another is A Scottish Christmas one more English Christmas Carols These are hammered dulcimer books but I believe they are written in standard music notation. It would be easy to figure out the tab from the notes. It is also great that the CD's come with the book so you can hear how they are suppose to sound. Cheers, Kathy Smile
Kathy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby woods » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:11 am

Actually, it's welcome back Mike, since you were also registered as Mike S earlier. Glad to have you back.
woods
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Crow » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:02 am

Some of these I still need the tab or music to remember the whole tune. In the Bleak Midwinter Greensleeves I saw Three Ships Hark the Herald Angles Sing Good King Wenceslas Let it Snow Oh Little Town of Bethlehem Oh Holy Night Up on the Housetop We Three Kings Donkey Riding (I think this is a holiday tune, it sounds like one anyway) And Im trying to ear out Silver Bells I'll be home for Christmas Pretty Paper
Crow
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dulcibeader » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:21 am

Another good cd/book is Ancient Noels. It is also hd - but useable . One that I like from A Scottish Christmas is 'Baloo Lammy'. Worked that up one year for mountain dulcimer, hammered dulcimer, violin and flute. It was neat!!! It's fun to play all the old familier carols - and add in new/old ones too. Elizabeth
dulcibeader
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Next

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers