The EverythingDulcimer Players!

All strummers welcome!

The EverythingDulcimer Players!

Postby bruce » Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:51 am

This idea was touched on in another thread, but I wanted to expand... I'm looking into the ability to upload MP3s to MP3.com in the name of EverythingDulcimer.com. We could use this: - To hear one another play (modern equivalent to exchanging tapes) - For clubs to publicize their groups and music - For new "semi-pro" groups to get their music exposed...try new material, etc. - To publicize dulcimers in general I'm willing to record a few tracks...anyone else in? If I get enough folks willing, I'll move forward! Thanks! Bruce
Last edited by bruce on Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce
Admin

Postby Steve Smith » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:50 pm

I may not be able to figure out how to get you the tabs for our club tunes, but the Western North Carolina Dulcimer Collective is working on putting together CD's of the tunes we've had in our newsletter, and I could certainly send you some MP3's. We've had over 140 tunes since we started putting music in the newsletters in 1990, and will be spreading them out over time over several CD's. (Mostly as we get the money we've got to pony up!) - Steve
Last edited by Steve Smith on Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Smith
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:28 pm

I've set up an artist area on MP3.com. I entitled it the EverythingDulcimer.com Players. ...And yes, I even uploaded a file. I'm still learning to use my audio editing/recording program (ProTools Free), so it's a little rough! It takes awhile for MP3.com to approve the file, so I'll keep everyone posted! It'll eventually live at something like http://www.mp3.com/everythingdulcimer If it works, I hope ALL (individuals, clubs, etc) will consider contributing. This will be a great collection in no time flat! (No pun intended!) Goodness knows it'll be easy to sound better than my offering! Bruce
Last edited by bruce on Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce
Admin

Me too

Postby KenH » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:53 pm

Soon's I kin get a new mouse er hamster ta power my military surplus (WWI) reel-to-reel tape recorder, and find some tape, I'll cut a few tunes fer ye...
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:54 pm

GREAT NEWS! LOL! LOL! LOL! MP3.com has approved an artist area for "The EverythingDulcimer Players"...that's us. Check out: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/424/eve ... cimer.html So we can now upload MP3s to trade around. I hope you'll contribute! To start, I uploaded a marginal recording of "Lamplighting Time in the Valley". (Stop laughing!) I hope to get MANY recordings there for us to trade and enjoy. I'd personally love to hear the style in which you all play...yes, especially you beginners! If you can contribute, please send me your mp3 file of public domain songs. I'll upload them to MP3.com since I have the password. It'll take about a week, but they show up. Now...I've got to warm up my computer for more recording!! Bruce
bruce
Admin

Postby Jerry Maksymyk » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:27 pm

Bruce...nice job on that song. I really enjoyed it
Jerry Maksymyk
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

how to listen...

Postby Patti » Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:38 am

Hey Bruce, I don't mean to sound totally ignorant, but I'm not sure what choice when I go to MP3.com... HI Fi? Lo Fi? Download? Then you have to "sign up" with them? Help me understand so I can listen to your music, too!! Thanks, Patti
Patti
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby bruce » Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:03 pm

Patti, The choice of "fi" depends on your connection. If you're connecting with a dial-up modem, use the lo-fi option. If you're connecting via DSL or cable modem, then hi-fi will be fine. Actually, this peice just being an experiement, probably sounds better in lo-fi. As far as signing up; MP3.com asks for minimal info to sign up and listen to our songs, or any other artist's songs. It's a great trade off as there are gazillions of great folk songs to listen to. Bruce
bruce
Admin

Postby KenH » Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:41 pm

I goofed up when first I went to MP3... decided I wasn't gonna give 'em my 'straight' data.... told 'em, my birthyear was 1998 instead of 19X8...Rolled Eye and every time I tried to listen to your song, it would transport me to some 'kid friendly' area with rap and hip hop crapEEK! Had to compleyly re-boot and come back as my real self to hear you... Great job finger pickin' EEK! EEK!
Last edited by KenH on Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby bruce » Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:04 pm

Ken...I wish you would have emailed me. The "easy" way is to "log out" of MP3.com which destroys the MP3.com cookie. That would have saved you the hassle. Glad you liked it, despite the rough recording. The pickin' was a bit rough as well. As they say...I "ain't ready for prime time." EEK! EEK! EEK! Bruce
bruce
Admin

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers