September Tab posted - "Starry Lullaby" by David S

All strummers welcome!

September Tab posted - "Starry Lullaby" by David S

Postby Tull » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:55 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that the tab for September has been posted on my website. This month's offering is a 3-part arrangement of "Starry Lullaby", written by David Schnaufer and his long-time friend and song-writing collaborator, Herb McCullough. It's a beautiful tune, with very poignant lyrics. I first heard David perform it "under the stars" at one of the Kentucky Music Weekend festivals at the ampitheatre in Iroquois Park in Louisville, KY - one of those "magical moments".

David recorded this tune twice - once as an instrumental on the "Dulcimer Player Deluxe" CD, with a lush violin accompaniament. But my favorite version is on his "Uncle Dulcimer" CD, where he added his own unmistakable baritone vocals. He also played it through one time bowing the Tennessee Music Box at the end of that cut. Listening to it again a couple weeks ago sent chills up my spine!

The basic melody can be played "drone style", fretting just on the middle string while strumming across all strings. I've also included a "chord/melody" arrangement, along with a harmony part.

David's birthday was September 28th, so I thought it was fitting to post one of his tunes this month. I'm hoping lots of folks will learn it, and then play it on the 28th as a sort of "tribute". I'm sure he will hear it, smile, and say "All right!".

I'm indebted to John Lomax III (SFL Records) and Herb McCullough for graciously granting permission for me to make this arrangement of one of David's copyrighted tunes available:

Words and music by David Schnaufer and Herb McCullough
Copyright © 1986, SFL Records
All Rights Reserved, Used by permission

Peace,
--Tull
Tull
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby island-girl » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:54 am

Hi Tull,
Thank you for doing this. What a great tribute to remember David.
Hugs, Radella
island-girl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Tull, I add my thanks as well. It is a fitting tribute to David. I hope we all learn this song and play it in David's memory.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dulcimerduo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:10 pm

thanks Tull,
What a wonderful way to remember David. I will be sure to learn it by Sept 28th thanks, Barbara
dulcimerduo

Location: Living in Morristown, and traveling to dulcimer events

Postby Bonnie » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:00 pm

What a pretty song. Thank you for posting it.

Bonnie
Bonnie

Postby Tin Ear » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:19 am

Thanks Tull for this particular tab ... but also for sharing the heartfelt tribute too.
Tin Ear
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers