learning materials...

All strummers welcome!

learning materials...

Postby Patti » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:43 am

Hey ya'll, It's the newbie here... I'm hungry for input Wink right now so thought I'd ask everyone for their opinion. What video, book, or whatever, is one of your favorites and you would suggest that a new MD player like myself purchase? It would help if you knew where to find it, but if not, I'm sure I can search the internet and find it or have my book/music store order it for me. I really do use this website for sources and find tab and info, etc. I'm thinking that I'd really like a video, something that I can keep referring too, maybe... Thanks!! Input Smile Input LOL! Unput Wink Patti
Patti
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

books

Postby KenH » Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:56 am

My favorite dulcimer books are Michael Murphy's "Appalachian Dulcimer" and Jean Ritchie's original "Mountain Dulcimer" and "Dulcimer People". I also like the old Mel Bay "Many Moods of the Dulcimer", and Bob Force's "In Search of the Wild Dulcimer", which is available on-line -- see the Links page for the URL. One of these days I want to get my hands on Maddie MacNeil's DAA book. I understand it's very nice For "roots music" I have a copy of "In the Pine", a scholarly work which is to Kentucky hill music what the Childe Ballads are to Scots/Irish/English folk music... but unlike Childe, who focused on the lyrics, the author of "In The Pine" includes music for almost every song
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

learning materials

Postby Gail Knapp » Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:48 pm

patti, The Book that I started off with 4 years ago was Larkin Bryant's Dulcimer Book. Since then I have used Shelley Steven's Baker's Dozen books. These are in DAD and will introduce you to chords in an easy manner. Also Maureen Sellers has some good books out too, there is a link to her web site on ED.com I got Shelley's books through mail order: Tweetwater Productions--Shelley Stevens 643 E. Euclid Ave. Springfield, OH 45505 I first saw an ad in Dulcimer Players News and started ordering from that source. These books are 6.oo a piece and have 13 tunes in each. I also have discovered Joe Collins music books, I went to his web page from ED's links. I purchased mailorder Simply Celtic. It is a great book too. Hope this helps you. your dulcimer library will grow quickly. Gail KWink
Gail Knapp
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby bruce » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:29 pm

I don't know of a video..but it's high time. I've been trying to talk Linda Brockinton into one, but for selfish reasons...I want to see how she does some of the things she does. Someone needs to make a series for beginner, intermediate, and advanced techniques. They won't break records, but there is a demand, I'll wager. Bruce
bruce
Admin

Postby SMO » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:13 am

I don't know if you can find it, but David Schnaufer made an instructional video several years ago that has some good information in it. Your best bet might be at the library. Good luck.
SMO
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Instructional videos

Postby picky player » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:13 am

Debbie Porter has a couple of instructional videos that are good. Write her at Lyricsmama@aol.com She is a member of our club and is headed out for extensive tour of festivals in eastern US. Walter.
picky player
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:29 pm

Last edited by bruce on Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce
Admin

Thanks!

Postby Patti » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:39 pm

Thanks to everyone that responded. I'm "shopping" now so will have something soon, I'm sure!! Ya'll are the best! Wink Patti
Patti
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers