End of Life for everythingdulcimer.com - PLEASE READ

Re: End of Life for everythingdulcimer.com - PLEASE READ

Postby HoosierInFL » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Bruce has offered to send me all the files (see Facebook), so he is okay with it.

I see there are some that don't like it, and that's fine, don't use my site. For the others, it's there as a resource to any who wish to use and contribute to it. The feedback I have received is 99% positive and Bruce is okay with it, so I feel good about doing this.
HoosierInFL
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Don O. » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Strumelia- upon reflection I suppose you are technically correct that those submitting a tab do not give up copyright. But as a practical matter, good luck trying to keep control of it under the circumstances. It’s interesting that there are no terms of use on the website either, nor were the writers of the almost 1500 tabs concerned about it.
Don O.
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Andreas Fischer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:17 am

@hoosier...
I bet Bruce didnt even notice
that you already in your first post here, even before Bruce mentioned that he want to give up.... asked how you can download all tabs with just on click
all you wanted was the tabs
now you have them, ok, welll done, thats the way our world works, as often efrontery winns and not moral

Bruce didnt even know that you stole the tabs already when he offered to mail them to you at facebook, probbably he just dont care
ok you got what you want BUT its still not right

as i said i am not familiar with USA law but
there is a copyright, Bruce can give away or sell his website WITH the content
but he can not give away the content others submittted to THIS website

your feedback was good?
Yes on facebook, people afraid to loose the tabs are happy they dont losse them now, they still can find them online
they didnt read here in the forum i bet

be happy with the tabs and to donate button you surely will have soon on your website
in my opinion you are are not a hero (like on facebook) ;-)
Andreas Fischer
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:13 am

It would be a shame indeed if this site goes down forever even though people have expressed interest in taking it over!!!

There is some dulcimer activity on Reddit, but it's mostly people just posting links to performances - very little discussion.

There is some brief discussion on Facebook, but Facebook's platform for discussion, in my opinion, is lacking. It's so much less user-friendly than this forum or the old Yahoo groups. However, if this site goes down, maybe we can all stay in touch on Facebook until something better comes along. Here's a link to one of the FB groups: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dulcimer/
Rick
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Andreas Fischer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Rick wrote: Facebook's platform for discussion, in my opinion, is lacking. It's so much less user-friendly than this forum

Yes Facebook ist not as good as a Forum

There IS another Forum, Strumelia has one. So there is not really a need for a new one, or is it? Check it out. Its diffrent but nice.
BUT
If enough People would want, i am willing to create a new forum like this one here, a phpbb Forum. And am still willing to take over this one with all the collectet infiormation here.
It would be sad to loose all this
Andreas Fischer
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dulcimom » Thu May 10, 2018 9:57 am

Likewise, I am saddened by the news the ED is shutting down. It has been a valuable resource for me over the years and has led me to many friendships. Thank you Bruce for the work you have put in over the years and for helping me along the way. I have enjoyed getting to know some of the many amazing people on this site and I thank you as well for your friendship and guidance over the years. God Bless!
dulcimom

Postby PTL » Fri May 11, 2018 8:42 am

Good bye dear friends

Thank you Bruce for creating and maintaining ED all these years.

I joined ED in February 2005 and have made many friends through the site. The first was Melody. We both played MD and were searching to buy HDs when we "met", she went to Song of the Wood while I shopped at Wildwood Music. Then, we compared our experiences as we both learned this most unique instrument. Even though she passed a few years after we started to correspond, I count my friendship with Melody to have been very special.

During the last few years, I have only been a "lurker" on ED, I still learned a great deal from all of you. And I will miss my daily visits.

God bless - Gretchen/PTL
PTL

Postby blh » Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Thank you so much for maintaining this site. I've owned my dulcimer for 40 years and played at it sporadically. Two years ago I found Everything Dulcimer and located 2 jam groups - one near where we vacation and one near our home. What a fun lifeline for dulcimer playing! I'm practicing and playing regularly due to your website. Thank you for all you've done. Blessings on your newer ventures.
Barb Hendricks
blh
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Don O. » Thu May 17, 2018 6:38 am

Yes, Strumelia’s site, Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer, (FOTMD) is very nice, and may well serve as a suitable substitute for many of you when this site closes down. She has Classifieds and discussions at least. But no tabs. And for me, the biggest down side is, it is mountain dulcimer only. What is out there for hammered dulcimer? I can’t find anything else for us hammered other than ED.
Don O.
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Robin T » Thu May 17, 2018 7:22 pm

I, too, will miss Everything Dulcimer. I formed long-time friendships here and have learned so much.
Robin T
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Previous

Return to Board Announcements