SOLD Probst 6 String w/it's 50 c on the dollar sale

New and Used Mountain Dulcimers

SOLD Probst 6 String w/it's 50 c on the dollar sale

Postby 5kwkdw3 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:47 am

SOLD and now going overseas. Sorry you missed out.

So here is what I have and what goes with it.

Probst Six String Baritone Dulcimer. It was strung and pitched in the key of G, but the strings are such that a return to the normal key of A would be entirely possible. It's in Mixolydian mode of G D G and all course pairs are strung in unison. (no octave pairs).

This next "quote" will explain the woods and such.......
" For the woods we have fiddleback maple on the back and sides and spruce on the top. Walnut performs the structure of the instrument as well as the sub-fretboard and sub-peghead with Ebony topping those two and used as appointments on the back center stripe and although not true ebony, matching binding goes along for the overall effect. The expected stylized "P" adorns the top of the peghead indicating its heritage of being a Probst built instrument. Shipped to me in a wonderfully padded "Bag Lady" large (special adjustments were made to this bag to house such a large instrument) dulcimer bag."

Chrome sealed tuners, extra strings and a plastic fold up stand that fits inside of the bag. Don't hold out much hope on that last item as it's just there since without the Probst I'll have no need for it. You might not want to use it, but there it will be. Korg chromatic tuner and string winder and a few picks I think will finish the "what do you get" portion of this ad.

Now the instrument is in as new a condition you could have without Rick building it and sending it directly to your door. Yes I've played it a bunch in the short time I've owned it, but not in an overworked or abusive fashion. It's just plain brand new sort of condition. To get this setup now if you were to order one up from Rick would run you over $1,500.00 bucks easy and those of you who have thought about getting a custom from him are well aware of its cost.

Now for the great deal. This one of a kind (did I tell you that Rick deepened the sound body to accentuate the baritone sound?) Probst Baritone can be had for only **********$950.00. Yep you heard that right!********** Nope it's now only $750.00 plus just half of the shipping so only 50 bucks additionally to pack, ship, and insure to your lower 48 address. **********I'll need an extra 100 bucks to pack and ship with insurance to your lower 48 address ********** I've done this a bunch so you don't have to worry about it being packaged well.

Be sure to get on this one as I think it will not last too long at 50 cents on the dollar? What a better way to get that always wanted Probst dulcimer than to get one already built (no waiting times) and one that's going for less than half the required amount of money. It's a win win for all concerned.

To get a look at all the pictures taken, go to this Photobucket page and check out the entire album.

http://s563.photobucket.com/user/5kwkdw ... 20Dulcimer
Last edited by 5kwkdw3 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
5kwkdw3
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: After Christmas 50 cents on the dollar for Probst Dulcim

Postby 5kwkdw3 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:52 pm

I hope that this is OK???? I just wanted to get the ad back to the top since I've now lowered the price substantially and wanted folk to be reminded of it at the new lower price. Even for the present Probst owner, I'd bet you didn't have a six string version? or that you had a baritone version? Kill two birds with one stone here and get both!!! Kevin.
5kwkdw3

Postby pbrawdy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:05 am

Could this be tuned to DAD and what would it sound like if it was?
pbrawdy
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby 5kwkdw3 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Well, the sound body was deepened 1/2" due to it's "baritone" destination, however other than that deepening it's the same sound body as you'd find in any other Probst dulcimer. All bracing and internal work identical, just slightly deeper sides. Now I made a big deal about it coming tuned in the key of "G" where most all other baritones would come a full step above in the key of "A". I was asked if I could just simply detune the normal strings to get what I wanted, but I prefer a taunt rather than a loose strung dulcimer, so Rick went a gauge or so heavier to accommodate that request. Again, nothing but string choice so not a big deal. The nut and bridge were "notched" for these heavier strings, but Rick had it so that the strings rode above the nut and bridge rather than seated within the nut and bridge. This I believe was due to not desiring unnecessary "Buzz" from the wound strings. I noted that right off since Rick uses a wider course spacing than I prefer. All I did, with detuned strings, was to move the "double" string of the individual course closer to its clone therefore obtaining the preferred pair spacing. I'd imagine that if it was so easy for me to move an individual string, bring it up to pitch, then have it stay both in tune and stay put, that a simple swap back to "normal dulcimer strings and tunings" would not only be easy, but very successful as well.

On a side note, this is not the first maple Probst dulcimer I've owned. The first one I bought was already completed when I became aware of it. A post here on ED as I recall? I bought it with it's four strings and did see minor notches for both equidistant and normal string placement. The latter is what I chose. It was and still is (for the lucky fellow that purchased it) a beautiful sounding instrument. Right off I noticed the rather large size of the instrument and the deep resonance of the bass out of it. I thought immediately that it would have rather made a quite nice baritone due to the case or sound body size. Mind you I'm talking about a normal Probst dulcimer Rick had offered for sale. Well an afternoon spent at my local string hang out and I came out with a beautiful sounding baritone dulcimer tuned in the key of "G". I loved that instrument, but same as today, time came that I needed to liquidate one of my instruments to raise family funds for one thing or the other and it was sold. On that one, I simply restrung the instrument with the lighter "Normal Dulcimer" strings, back to DAd and the buyer couldn't of been happier. He was told of course all that had occurred with the heavier baritone strings, but that was no longer an issue.

So it still is an incredible deal and now if I get the "I'll take it" from a lucky future owner of this fine instrument, I'll sell it for the 50/dollar low price of $750.00, but I'll take the shipping on for myself to your lower 48 address. Yep again, 750 bucks out the door and I'll do the shipping. Sound good to any, all?
5kwkdw3

Re: SOLD Probst 6 String w/it's 50 c on the dollar sale

Postby mkrdesign » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Just wanted to correct a few things about the wood. The wood under the ebony fretboard and used for the heal and peg head is mahogany, not walnut. Also the black binding is true ebony.
-rick
mkrdesign
Member (51-100 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Instruments