FS: Cripple Creek hour-glass dulcimer 1997

New and Used Mountain Dulcimers

FS: Cripple Creek hour-glass dulcimer 1997

Postby trex454 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:39 am

Well...looks like I AM asking too much for this instrument...nobody has even asked to see pictures...
I will drop the price to $350.00
again, that includes shipping

I must admit that i registered here so that i could post this classified.
(oops) forgot to mention price!?! I'm asking $400.00 ...that would include shipping.

I play guitar. After toting this beautiful dulcimer around for ~20 years, i am going to sell it.
I bought this in Manitou Springs in 1996 or 97 from the Ford dulcimer shop; built by them; not
a kit. It is essentially NIB (a crime, i know)...so it needs to be played...inside, on the back-wood
is a stamp from the shop and a penned serial number: 96151
The instrument sounds great, with 20 year old strings, but it just sits in the (cheap), protective case.

I believe it is all of one wood; could be cherry...not sure; can't remember. I think this was called
a Hummingbird...but it does not have hummingbird-pattern sound holes.
If there is interest, I'll send some pictures of the instrument.

I'm near Sutter Creek, CA.; I hate to think about shipping this...
Thanks...Trex
Last edited by trex454 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trex454
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: FS: Cripple Creek hour-glass dulcimer 1997

Postby Don O. » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:35 am

The Dulcimer Shop in Manitou Springs, makers of Cripple Creek Dulcimers, went out of business around 2014 I believe after over 40 years of making dulcimers. A former employee now is making virtual copies of the design in Branson, Missouri. They are callerd Cedar Creek Dulcimers. They also build the "Walnut Creek" line for TK O'Brien. You can buy a dulcimer like the one you describe, brand new from them, for 279 dollars. Best of luck to you.
Don O.
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby trex454 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:55 pm

I am aware that the Manitou shop finally folded a few years ago; that is a shame; altho i think it would have
ended w/ or w/o the flooding. It's interesting that you can identify 'virtual copies' of the Dulcimer Shop MD that I'm selling,
w/o ever seeing it...however...this is NOT a 'virtual copy'; this is a 20 year old dulcimer, made in The Dulcimer Shop when
Bud and Donna Ford ran it; it's not elaborate but it's beautifully made...it is in fact vintage work from The Dulcimer Shop;
yep, the shop that no longer exists...will never produce another Cripple Creek dulcimer...that might matter to some
people; you never can tell.
...and best of luck to you as well.
- Trex
trex454
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Don O. » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:00 am

Yes, you are right, you can get copies of that design but you have real deal, made by the folks who originated the design. And that does mean something. I had one, though mine was spruce over mahogany. Mine was from the 80 's and had no 6 1/2 fret. I added that myself. I passed that one along but I remember it had a fine sound. I hope yours finds a good home. I agree it does need to be played.
Don O.
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Instruments