digital tablet

Cases, Straps, Books, Recordings, Videos, Picks, Capos, Etc.

digital tablet

Postby pho2cats » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 am

I understand some folks are using tablets to store music and play from. Wonder if anyone has information as to what kind of tablet is being used. Sure would be nice to carry a tablet instead of the heavy notebook that has music I carry to jams.
pho2cats
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: digital tablet

Postby cactus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 am

I am really curious too! Also wonder whether each piece of music must loaded individually or whether files will work?
cactus
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Rahere » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Quite a lot of score music is available as PDF, easy to display on a tablet. If the worst comes to the worst, scan a paper score.
Rahere
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby pho2cats » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Wanting to know what tablet will work for this application. Just the thought of not needing to carry around those big heavy ring binders is enticing.
pho2cats
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Acmespaceship » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:29 pm

The operating system (Android, iPad) is not important. What matters is the size and resolution of the display. If you want to read standard sheet music and prop the tablet on a music stand (meaning it's about 18 inches away from your eyes) then you'll want at least a 10-inch screen.

You might be ok with a smaller screen depending on what you're reading and how you use it. I use a Kindle Keyboard for lyrics and chords. Works great for me, but I have friends who complain it's too small. I think they should admit they need bifocals and stop complaining. :lol:

Try this: Take a few samples of your music and go to a photocopier that reduces. Shrink your samples down to fit a tablet screen. The iPad (a "10-inch tablet") has a screen that's roughly 5x8 inches. Kindle Fire (a "7-inch tablet") is 3.5x6. Are you comfortable reading the copies? If not, then the current crop of tablets is not for you. Toshiba just announced a 13" tablet and other big-screens may be coming soon.

In the meantime, if you have a laptop computer, you can put your music on that.
Acmespaceship

Postby pho2cats » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:40 pm

You folks are just so smart! I have a laptop. Great idea. Screen large enough to view. I'm already in bifocals, a small screen 18" away, won't be a good thing for me. Laptop bigger than the tablets but much better than carrying around those heavy ring binders. Thanks so much.
pho2cats
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby mlsa » Wed May 16, 2012 8:28 am

I just purchased an Acer Iconia A500 tablet for this very purpose. It has a 10.1" screen and a tablature sheet fits just right for me on it. I'm using Mobile Sheets as the software...that way I can use Bluetooth Pedals to turn the pages for me. I've just started putting my tab on the tablet and don't have the pedals yet but I think I'm going to like using it.

Gene
mlsa

Postby southernmiss » Fri May 18, 2012 11:00 am

mlsa wrote:I just purchased an Acer Iconia A500 tablet for this very purpose. It has a 10.1" screen and a tablature sheet fits just right for me on it. I'm using Mobile Sheets as the software...that way I can use Bluetooth Pedals to turn the pages for me. I've just started putting my tab on the tablet and don't have the pedals yet but I think I'm going to like using it.

Gene

Can the Acer tablet be turned portrait view, and does it give a full 10" screen? That sounds like a really nice setup. Would love the pedal to turn pages. I've an iPad for music, but I'm into tri-focals and can't get a comfortable distance on the iPad.

Lee
southernmiss
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby mlsa » Sun May 20, 2012 6:45 am

southernmiss wrote:
mlsa wrote:I just purchased an Acer Iconia A500 tablet for this very purpose. It has a 10.1" screen and a tablature sheet fits just right for me on it. I'm using Mobile Sheets as the software...that way I can use Bluetooth Pedals to turn the pages for me. I've just started putting my tab on the tablet and don't have the pedals yet but I think I'm going to like using it.

Gene

Can the Acer tablet be turned portrait view, and does it give a full 10" screen? That sounds like a really nice setup. Would love the pedal to turn pages. I've an iPad for music, but I'm into tri-focals and can't get a comfortable distance on the iPad.

Lee

Yes, the tablet can be turned to portrait view. When tablets, tv's, computer screens, laptops talk about the size of the screen they are not talking about horziontal and vertical lenghts. They measure from the top to the bottom diagonally. So if you measure diagonally from one side of the top to the other side of the bottom then yes it measures 10.1". But in actuallity it measures 8 1/2" lengthwise and 5 1/2" width wise. I know that seems a bit small but when you actually pull the tab up on it, the picture is so clear and crisp and you can zoom in that it's really readable, at least for me and some others I've talked to.

I bought a factory refurbished Acer Iconia A500 on Ebay for $239.00. It looks and works like brand new. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong if I didn't like it. I have about 150 songs loaded already and trying to fix my scanner where I can get the other several hundred loaded. It will also take a picture of a sheet of tablature and add it to the tablet. I use MobileSheets for my loading and viewing my tablature.

Hope this helps.

Gene
mlsa

Postby southernmiss » Mon May 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks, Gene,

Your explanation helps tremendously. Sounds like the perfect way to store our tabs.

Lee
southernmiss
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby SopchoppySal » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm using an iPad. I use the app ForScore. This allows me to annotate and organize my music. I love it. I do have a Peak music stand that holds my iPad. I can adjust it comfortably for my eyesight. Keep in mind that you can crop the pages thereby enlarging the music to the size of your display. Also if you view in landscape the image is much larger -- I don't unless I'm working on a new and difficult section that I want to focus on. I do have PageFlip so I can turn pages with my foot (it's essentially a foot pedal). I hope this is helpful to some.
SopchoppySal
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Greg Tidwell » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 pm

I have an iPad 1 that I use a lot with mandolin playing. I have apps that are useful (OnSong and Tefviewer, strobotuner), and a bunch of web resources in PDF (sheet music, method books, tab, etc). I want to get one of those pedals for turning pages hands free (there are Bluetooth options for this) and a sturdy stage stand. I find my iPad to be invaluable.
Greg Tidwell
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Next

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Accessories