digital tablet

Cases, Straps, Books, Recordings, Videos, Picks, Capos, Etc.

Re: digital tablet

Postby GWentland » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:58 am

I have the IPad 2 and a bluetooth page turner. I love it. I currently have 1125 songs on it. I have had no problems with it and no longer use paper sheet music, even at home. I have scanned all of my music books to pdf files and loaded them on the IPad. I am using the Deepdish Gigbook software for the IPad. If scanned properly the music takes up very little room on your IPad. You really do not need to spend the money for lots of extra memory, unless you want to put your mp3 collection and lots of movies on your IPad.
GWentland
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby JoeBesse » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 am

I use the Acer A500 Iconia tablet which as a 10.1 screen. I have 311 songs posted on the tablet using Mobile Sheets and I am very satisfied with this setup. My grandson who is a computer whiz has an iPad and he says my Acer is slightly bigger and does the same things that the iPad does and also the Acer is much lower in price.

Joe Besse
Cajun dulcimerist :lol: :P ;)
JoeBesse
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Marjorie Orr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:52 am

I am planning on purchasing a new laptop or tablet. A computer friend who also sells Dell products has recommended either a Dell Latitude, and Asus transformer, or an Dell XPS 18. He will be coming over Monday to show me what a tablet can do for me and why I may want it rather than a regular laptop.

Does anyone have experience with the Asus Transformer or the Dell XPS 18?

Also what are the extra cost involved if any when they talk about saving to the cloud and the wireless connectivity anywhere? I've tended to ignore the new tech stuff for too long - playing the HD has been more important.

Thanks for your input to bring my education up to the 21st century!
Marjorie Orr

Postby JoeBesse » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 pm

I am not familiar with the brands you mentioned, but I am sure someone will come up with some answers for you on this great forum. Good luck. I love my Acer tablet and I know you will love the one you decide to use. :D
JoeBesse

Postby bradleyi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:54 pm

When I was in the market for a tablet, the Asus Transformer was one of those I considered, due to my excellent experience with an Asus Netbook I'd purchased a few years ago. I'd have gone for the Transformer except for the fact that it had no USB ports, meaning you'd have to make any wired connections to it using Asus' proprietary hardware (think: more bucks). If they've changed their design to include USB connectivity it could be an excellent choice. I know nothing about the Dell model you mention, but my former employer used Dells and I had several of them (including one at home) before I retired. They all were good machines and held up well.

The tablet I ended up purchasing was the Toshiba Excite. It's an excellent tablet but Toshiba seems to have abandoned it as far as developing peripherals such as a dock for it, etc. Luckily, it works just fine for my purposes.

Ivan
bradleyi
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Acmespaceship » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:20 pm

"Saving to the cloud" is free and easy. Sign up at dropbox.com or sugarsynch.com. If you're an Amazon customer, sign up for the Cloud Drive. "Wireless connectivity anywhere" is not free. There are two ways a tablet can connect to the internet:

Wi-Fi -- Most tablets can use wi-fi networks. Do you have wi-fi at home? Is free wi-fi coverage available in the places you frequent -- work, school, favorite coffee house?

Cellular data -- They call it "3G" or "4G" or "LTE" depending on the speed (and technicalities we don't need to know about). Not all tablets have the necessary equipment; it's an extra-cost option if it's available at all. You have to pay AT&T, Verizon, or another carrier to get service, usually on a monthly plan. If you already have a phone with data service, maybe you can "tether" your tablet to the phone and save money. Or maybe your carrier has a deal that will let you add the tablet to your existing plan for 10, 20, 30 dollars a month.

By far the less expensive option is to get a tablet with wi-fi only, if you can live with being offline in places where you can't get a wi-fi signal. Think about how you want to use the tablet, and where. Lots of tasks can be done offline and you can synch up later when you get into wi-fi range.

Will this be your only computer, or will you have an old desktop or laptop for use at home? It's nice that your friend is willing to help, but do your homework:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/

I think the Asus Transformer is nice but overpriced for what it is (an Android tablet with a clip-on keyboard) and absolutely not qualified to be anyone's only computer. The XPS 18 sure looks swell, but for that price you could buy a good standard Windows 8 desktop or laptop plus a Nexus 10 Android tablet.

By the way, nobody has experience with the Dell XPS 18 because it's brand new and only available for pre-order. So you'll have to report back to us. :D
Acmespaceship

Postby Heidi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:13 am

GWentland wrote:I have the IPad 2 and a bluetooth page turner. I love it. I currently have 1125 songs on it. I have had no problems with it and no longer use paper sheet music, even at home. I have scanned all of my music books to pdf files and loaded them on the IPad. I am using the Deepdish Gigbook software for the IPad. If scanned properly the music takes up very little room on your IPad. You really do not need to spend the money for lots of extra memory, unless you want to put your mp3 collection and lots of movies on your IPad.

Can you tell us what settings you use? Color and resolution? Do you save the scans as PDFs? What are your PDF settings? Do you save them as individual pages, or multi page books? Any insight you can give is appreciated.
Heidi
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby JoeBesse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 pm

All of my song scans are saved as PDF files with name of song. Saved to desktop and then synched with MobileSheetsCompanion and MobileSheets.

Joe Besse
JoeBesse

Previous

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Accessories