Replacement dulcimer nut and bridge

Cases, Straps, Books, Recordings, Videos, Picks, Capos, Etc.

Replacement dulcimer nut and bridge

Postby timyo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to make me a new nut and bridge for my mole in the ground hour glass dulcimer. Currently the dulcimer's low D string, the 0.22, slot on both the nut and bridge are very low in comparison to the other strings. This make the 0.22 string have funny twang every time I play it.

Willing to pay but not to much, not looking for anything fancy just something that'll work.

Thanks.
timyo
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Replacement dulcimer nut and bridge

Postby Banjimer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm sure someone can make you a new bridge and nut, but they may need the dulcimer in hand to get a good fit.

But since you describe your dulcimer as a mole and not a priceless collector's item, an alternative solution is to raise the current bridge and/or nut slightly by placing a thin slip underneath. You can cut slips of varying thicknesses from plastic yogurt or margarine containers and put them underneath the bridge and/or the nut to raise them slightly. The tension of the strings will hold everything in place, but there is nothing preventing you from placing a drop of glue to hold it in place once you have the correct thickness. In most cases raising the bridge or nut only a very small amount is sufficient to eliminate the buzzing sound.

If you only need one side raised, you can place the plastic slip only underneath the side of the bridge or nut that needs to be raised. That will raise only the strings on that side of the nut or bridge.
Banjimer
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Replacement dulcimer nut and bridge

Postby timyo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:55 am

Alright, I'll see if I can slip something under the bridge and/or nut and see what happens, I bought some shims a couple weeks ago, maybe I can use one of them. :)

Thanks for the help!
timyo
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Accessories