*WANTED* Dudley Capo

Cases, Straps, Books, Recordings, Videos, Picks, Capos, Etc.

*WANTED* Dudley Capo

Postby Elvensong » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:49 pm

I've been looking for a couple of weeks and cannot find this capo anywhere.

Anyone have one they would like to sell?
Elvensong
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: *WANTED* Dudley Capo

Postby Pooch » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:21 am

I also have been looking for a Dudley Dulcimer Capo but for over a year. I would suggest looking at a similar capo called the Walworth Dulcimer Capo at www.elderly.com/walworth-dulcimer-capo.htm
Pooch
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby frets alot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Pooch wrote:I also have been looking for a Dudley Dulcimer Capo but for over a year. I would suggest looking at a similar capo called the Walworth Dulcimer Capo at http://www.elderly.com/walworth-dulcimer-capo.htm

These work great. I have 2 of the Walworth Capos and will never go back.
frets alot
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Elvensong » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Interesting. I also picked up two of the Walworths capos and hated them. For one thing, the fretboard on my 30 year old Folkroots is shallow so the Walworth won't work on it at all unless I find someone to cut it down. It literally sits 1/8 -3/16" above the string

But I also tried one on my 86' Blue Lion and found it really unreliable and couldn't hold a clean tone at all.

I'm still waiting for someone to design a capo with a DOWNWARD pressure locking mechanism. Being able to cinch the capo to the side of the dulcimer is worthless. Keeping the capo attached to the fretboard is not the issue. It doesn't matter how well the capo grips the side of the fretboard if it struggles to hold a clean tone.
Elvensong
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby frets alot » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Once I adjusted the Walworth to the fretboard width (snug, but able to slide it on), I place it on the fretboard, apply downward pressure, then flip the lever to lock. I have never had an issue with it not holding the strings tight. I have been using adjustable capos for nearly 45 years with guitars, banjos, mandolins, ukuleles and of course dulcimers. So, I understand the importance of proper adjustments and just the right amount of string pressure. The Walworths work great for me.
frets alot

Postby Dusty Turtle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:50 am

Well I have one of the Dudley capos. I think I bought it from Ron Gibson a few years ago, although he doesn't seem to carry them anymore. It cost about $60 but it doesn't really work any better than the $20 wooden ones that Ron Ewing sells.

My advice is to buy one of the Ewing capos. You'll have enough cash leftover for a filet mignon and a nice bottle of cabernet.
Dusty Turtle

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Accessories