Narcissistic Much?

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Narcissistic Much?

Postby Strum-Numb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:30 am

January 8 is the Birthday of Soupy Sales, David Bowie, Elvis Presley... and me.
Wow, I'm the only one that's still alive out of that bunch. Yikes.
Anyway... I noticed this:
congrats.png
congrats.png (15.29 KiB) Viewed 767 times

So I tabbed out Happy Birthday and submitted it to the Tabs here...
...and had a go at making an audio file:

Happy-Birthday.mp3
[ 433.54 KiB | Viewed 767 times ]

I played it all slow and sexy like, and was going to gross you out with a Marilyn Monroe impression... but my beard and mustache kept getting snagged up in the mic and I tripped over my boa in my high heels and finally just gave up. Lucky for you.

According to my research, Happy Birthday to You is in the public domain, but that is a relatively recent thing.
Guinness Book of World Records claims that this is the Most recognized song in English language.
Followed by For He's A Jolly Good Fellow, and in third place is Auld Lang Syne.

It is of course quite a simple little tune, but I thought it'd be a good addition to our Tab collection anyway.

So there ya go... some birthday and song trivia and a new Tab :)

For my birthday, I got myself this: http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33010
Love it, good stuff. Give it a whirl if you dare.

Have a great day everyone, I've been having a blast today; wanted to share some fun and Happiness :D
- Tony
Strum-Numb
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Re: Narcissistic Much?

Postby KenH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:03 am

Happy Dulcimer Day! And many happy repeats!
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Strum-Numb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks Ken!

I had a great day yesterday, mellow, quiet... snow on the ground, deer and turkey came to visit me... just one of those really nice mellow days. Sat around playing dulcimer for most of the day... not a bad life, not bad at all.

Now the holidays are over... time to get back to some reality I suppose...
Strum-Numb

Postby strumelia » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Happy birthday to you!
I grew up watching Soupy Sales- he was one of my very favorite shows as a kid. We named one of our cats Pookie years ago, in honor of Soupy's show.
Here's to avoiding any pies in the face on your birthday. :lol:
strumelia
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Strum-Numb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, not everyone even knows who Soupy Sales was...
...we're telling on ourselves for age.

Hey I posted the Birthday song on my profile at FOTMD, but when I edited a typo, the system spammed the heck out of my entry. Maybe you want to delete some of that spam? It looks pretty bad, I'm embarrassed.

I guess it'll eventually fade away from the main page, but for now I wanna crawl under a rock.
Strum-Numb

Postby kwl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Happy Birthday! Isn't it nice to finally have that song in the public domain? Enjoy your special day.
Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Strum-Numb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks Ken!

And yes... that was ridiculous that the copyright was held up so long.
I'm all for creative property and rights, but when the original authors never see a penny for it and then a huge corporation makes literally millions of dollars on it? Not so much a fan of that.
I do not believe this is the true intent of intellectual property.
But alas, what do I know.
I'm just a poor ol' dumb country boy with a pitchfork in one hand and a dulcimer in the other 8)
...and chicken poo on my shoe.

But hey, I'm looking out the window as I type this, and there goes a doe and one of last year's fawns... walking through my front yard, not 30 feet away from me.

Just got back from the little grocery store near here, picking up a battery for a digital tuner that goes with a dulcimer I'll deliver this week... and ran into a guy that just cleared some land with black walnut trees on it. Told me to stop by and pick up some of the logs he has just laying in the snow out there. One dulcimer goes out the door, and the wood for next year's dulcimers comes in.

Yep... just a poor dumb ol' country boy with poo on my shoe. What do I know?
Strum-Numb

Postby strumelia » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Strum-Numb wrote:Hey I posted the Birthday song on my profile at FOTMD, but when I edited a typo, the system spammed the heck out of my entry. Maybe you want to delete some of that spam?

Not sure what you mean Tony, there is no spam on FOTMD.
strumelia

Postby Strum-Numb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Hmmm... when I looked at the Main page earlier, it showed like 5 or 6 entries in a row of my post. Cool beans, maybe it fixed itself... or I just had some sort of glitch when viewing it. Either way, it's all good now. Thanks for checking it.
- Tony
Strum-Numb

Postby strumelia » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Ah, I understand you now. Perhaps I can clarify- On fotmd, when one goes back to update/edit their item after it's posted, it can appear in the Activity Timeline that an update or edit was made- this can be a good thing in order to see new additions and changes to something. But if it's just a typo correction it may not be of interest to others. Your editing attempts on your post showed up as several 'updates' in a row on the main page feed (which you briefly saw), and when i saw them I removed three of the redundant Timeline instances. FOTMD Moderators will all do this, because occasionally a member might make many edits in a row to something, perhaps their photo or video description. Item edit/update actions showing in a Timeline are normal and are not spam- sorry if it caused any confusion! We do have a forum on FOTMD to ask site-related questions- feel free to contact me over there if you need help on FOTMD or have questions. Thanks Tony- and again Happy Birthday to you !
strumelia

Postby Strum-Numb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Yeah, bad description on my part. In gamer and computer geek lingo the term "spam" means the repeated application or appearance of something. A flood or flood attack, or redundant button mashing, or repeating messages... as in my post updates were flooding the main page feed.

Anyway...
...it's just lucky for us all, that we have such great management, both here on ED and over at FOTMD. I know that I certainly do appreciate it.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Time to go change out that Tab update... and make the front page spam some more. 8)
Strum-Numb

Postby Andyrobinson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:50 am

Happy belated Birthday!

So you build dulcimers? I love walnut instrument (not that I need another one) and the idea of black walnut logs free for the taking is pretty exciting. I have a grafted walnut guitar, a walnut McSapdden Sweetsong, and my fave flute is walnut. Not that I'd know what to with walnut logs, but I know some luthiers who would.

Anyway, Happy Birthday!

Andy
Andyrobinson
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Next

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion