Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

WHERE DO YOU LIVE & PLAY YOUR DULCIMER?

PACIFIC: [Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California]
10%
MOUNTAIN: [Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico]
5%
MIDWEST: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio]
25%
NORTH EAST: [New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts]
11%
SOUTH: [West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missiissippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Arkansas]
41%
CANADA:
3%
SCOTLAND, IRELAND, ENGLAND & WALES:
2%
EUROPE:
1%
AUSTRALIA:
1%
ASIA:
0%
AFRICA:
0%
SOUTH AMERICA:
0%

Total votes : 714

Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:37 am

I was fascinated by the thread next door that Mistydawn started.

I hope you don't mind Misty, but with this thread & poll, I'd like to be even more specific, when looking at the areas of North America, if I may, to get a clearer idea of where folks here are actually from.

For this reason, the Poll above looks at broad areas of the US.

It also looks at the other regions of the World, where there are of course many Dulcimer players.

Me? ...... I am a Scot, living in Northern Ireland.
Unfortunately, I am only aware of a handful of Dulcimer players here in the whole of Ireland, more Hammered than Mountain, but as we all know, Dulcimer players can be a shy lot! ;) :lol:

Perhaps (hopefully) this Poll will reveal some that I am not aware of.

I'm sure we could be even more specific, but perhaps this is a useful start.

My apologies if I've left anyone's home out of this! :(

Well, I didn't think we'd have any members in Antartica .......... but I could be wrong!
:twisted:
Ptarmigan
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Location: Spying on you all, with Binoculars, from a hill in Co. Antrim, Ireland

Postby Davef » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:28 am

We live in dulcimer mecca as Missy calls it :D, I live in central Ohio and there are lots of dulcimer players in our area. We have 2 music stores that are into dulcimers within driving distance so we are fortunate.
Davef

Postby folkfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:18 am

Just south of Chicago Illinois is where I live and play.
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby joyfulnoise » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:30 pm

I live in the dulcimer mecca, I guess. This has made me think about, what if I get transferred to a place that is not part of the dulcimer mecca??? That could happen. I have 13 years before I can retire and that is a long time. I have been moved twice in 4 years. I guess I would have to learn how to make cardboard dulcimers and get up a group.
joyfulnoise

Postby kwl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:15 pm

That's the best thing to do if you get transferred, start recruiting new dulcimer players. I live in central Pennsylvania and we have a fair amount of dulcimer players around here. Very few of them are on ED.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby island-girl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:24 pm

I live on the East coast of Florida, I 've gotten 2 others to play and one out of the woodwork, so to speak. Dulcimers here, have to be found! None of the local stores here carry them. But we are a growing lot. Rick over in Tampa (West Coast) has dulcimers for sale in his shop.
Della
island-girl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:02 pm

So far so good.
Thanks for voting folks.
I'm not surprised by most of the blank areas so far, but tell me .... how come none of the Mountain folks have voted yet i.e. those in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico?

Is it the case that you wouldn't actually expect to find many Dulcimers in those areas, or is it just that none have called by yet?
Ptarmigan

Location: Spying on you all, with Binoculars, from a hill in Co. Antrim, Ireland

Postby hi ho sliver » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:59 pm

Arizona here.....we are a shy lot too ;)
hi ho sliver
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:19 pm

...... I guess that's why they call you the *Lone Ranger* eh? :lol: :twisted:

Yippeee! the Mountain region is finally *on the map*!!!
Ptarmigan

Postby a.mellifera » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:27 pm

I'm in Washington state and know no other dulcimer players who live near. :(
a.mellifera
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Mistydawn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:40 pm

The poll's a great idea! I wonder if the publishers of Dulcimer Players News would share statistics on where most of the issues are sent?
Mistydawn

Postby Sarah » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:33 pm

a.mellifera wrote:I'm in Washington state and know no other dulcimer players who live near. :(

I guarantee you there are other players in your home state. :D

You didn't say whether you play hammered dulcimer or mountain dulcimer, but I know there are clubs for both in Washington state. The Northwest Hammered Dulcimer Society has members mostly concentrated in the Seattle area as well as in Oregon, but there are other members (like myself, proud to be the Farthest Northwest member! :lol: ) in other places. They hold a wonderful weekend festival in April; there's still time to register and go! If you're an HD player and want contact info, please contact me privately.

I know there's a mountain dulcimer group in the tri-cities area. There's at least one member of that group who is an ED member; hopefully she'll read this and give you contact info.
Sarah

Next

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion