Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

WHERE DO YOU LIVE & PLAY YOUR DULCIMER?

PACIFIC: [Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California]
10%
MOUNTAIN: [Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico]
5%
MIDWEST: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio]
25%
NORTH EAST: [New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts]
11%
SOUTH: [West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missiissippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Arkansas]
41%
CANADA:
3%
SCOTLAND, IRELAND, ENGLAND & WALES:
2%
EUROPE:
1%
AUSTRALIA:
1%
ASIA:
0%
AFRICA:
0%
SOUTH AMERICA:
0%

Total votes : 714

Postby jt3d » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:04 pm

Northwestern North Carolina here. Heck, I'll play darn near anywhere if I can get there from here lol! Playing mostly within a 60 mile radius of home right now, though.
jt3d
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby jdb » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:25 pm

I'm in northwestern Arkansas. The dulcimer gets a lot of good press here with Branson,Mo not far away...... as well as the McSpadden shop and Ozark Folk Center to the east of us.
jdb
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby a.mellifera » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:36 pm

Sarah wrote:I know there's a mountain dulcimer group in the tri-cities area. There's at least one member of that group who is an ED member; hopefully she'll read this and give you contact info.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it's almost a four hour drive each way to get to that group, so that's not a group I could take part in regularly. I'll keep my eyes peeled for people in my area who play, though.
a.mellifera
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:06 am

Looking good guys, the poll is really starting to take shape for the good ol' U S of A.

However, I can't wait to see our first entry from EUROPE, AUSTRALIA, ASIA, AFRICA or SOUTH AMERICA.

I wonder if I'm in for a loooong wait?
:roll:
Ptarmigan

Location: Spying on you all, with Binoculars, from a hill in Co. Antrim, Ireland

Postby Dulcimer Jim » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:32 am

Last edited by Dulcimer Jim on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dulcimer Jim
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby CD » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:20 am

House is in the plains of South Central Kansas but if you ask my wife where I live she'll tell you on a bus. I travel nationwide and average 43 states a year + or -, so, which area do I choose????? I am in other areas as much as home.

CD
CD

Postby modulcimer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:34 pm

I Live in Ridgedale, Missouri, Branson is our suburb :lol: . We have several players inthis area.
modulcimer
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:40 pm

WAAAA HEY Jim! ..............

Thanks for putting Australia on the Poll ... great.

I wonder, are there any sessions out your way & do you get much opportunity to share your music ... apart from with the .... Snakes Kangaroos & Lizards? :lol:

so, which area do I choose?????

Well CD, I'd say, wherever you keep your *SLIPPERS*!

P.S. It certainly looks like *the south* is the heartland for Dulcimer players in North America. ;) :D
Ptarmigan

Location: Spying on you all, with Binoculars, from a hill in Co. Antrim, Ireland

Postby woods » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:59 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:...P.S. It certainly looks like *the south* is the heartland for Dulcimer players in North America. ;) :D

That's because both dulcimers are lumped together in the same poll. If you split it into two polls you'd probably find that the MD remains more popular in the South, but I think the results for the HD would swing to the North. That's one of the problems of lumping them together. In the US, there are thousands of HD folks who don't play the MD, and there are probably millions of MD folks that don't play the HD. So the demographics are not inseparably linked.
woods

Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:35 pm

Woods wrote:

That's because both dulcimers are lumped together in the same poll. If you split it into two polls you'd probably find that the MD remains more popular in the South, but I think the results for the HD would swing to the North. That's one of the problems of lumping them together. In the US, there are thousands of HD folks who don't play the MD, and there are probably millions of MD folks that don't play the HD. So the demographics are not inseparably linked.

Fascinating Woods, I had no idea. Thanks for the idea! :idea:

So obviously what I should have done was start two Polls, one on the Mt D Forum & the other on the HD Forum.

Oh, well, nothing ventured nothing gained, in for a penny in for a £1 etc etc

Guess where I'm off to .............................

Cheers
:lol:
Ptarmigan

Postby mrchips » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:48 pm

I agree with Woods. MD players are relitavly common around here. Hd players, that a different issue. "Common" only in refference to dulcimers. :lol: My guess is probally like 75 to 100 md player to HD players.
mrchips
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:20 pm

Hey Chips,
if you ever decide to get together with *Woods* for some tunes, take care that this isn't how your dulcimers end up

:arrow: Dulcimer Hell
;)
Ptarmigan

PreviousNext

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion