Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

WHERE DO YOU LIVE & PLAY YOUR DULCIMER?

PACIFIC: [Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California]
10%
MOUNTAIN: [Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico]
5%
MIDWEST: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio]
25%
NORTH EAST: [New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts]
11%
SOUTH: [West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missiissippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Arkansas]
41%
CANADA:
3%
SCOTLAND, IRELAND, ENGLAND & WALES:
2%
EUROPE:
1%
AUSTRALIA:
1%
ASIA:
0%
AFRICA:
0%
SOUTH AMERICA:
0%

Total votes : 714

Re: Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Postby JavaMom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:13 am

I live in Villa El Salvador, Lima, Peru. I don't currently have my dulcimer with me, but I plan on bringing it back with me the next time I am in the States. My husband and I, with our two children, are Independent Baptist Missionaries to the Deaf in Peru, South America. Many of you will remember my Mom, Gail Knapp. I have a couple of her dulcimers. I do have a question, if anyone could help me out. One of her dulcimers, I believe, is a McSpadden. I have tried and tried to tune the "D" string. I can't get it to stay tuned. I've tried replacing the string, but that didn't seem to help. I think the problem might be with the key holding the string. It is not holding it tight when I try to tune it. Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Sarah McKendree
www.perudeafmissions.com
JavaMom
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby folkfan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Sarah, I remember Gail very well. In fact I remember her every morning when I look at a little duck statuette she gave me. It makes me smile.

As to your question about the dulcimer, if it is a McSpadden, it will say so right on the front. And if it is one of the tuners, contact them about getting a replacement. It shouldn't be hard to unscrew and replace.

Take care and keep well.

Keigh/FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby scottarany » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm newly moved to the Pacific Northwest. I live about an hour southwest of Portland in Sheridan. I pop into Artichoke Music in PDX occasionally to enjoy the live music and instruments there. It seems to be the only local place that has dulcimers in stock.

I discovered the dulcimer when I lived in Hollywood, CA. McCabe's in Santa Monica and the Claremont Folk Music Center were happy places to explore.

Bought my first dulcimer—a crappy AppleCreek—from Amazon for $15. (It was barely worth that!) It was enough to make me fall in love with the instrument. My first GOOD instrument was a McSpadden baritone from a folk music store up in Santa Barbara. The collection has since grown, as you all can understand.

I'd love to meet some other dulcimer players in the area. I heard about the Dulcimer week out in Wallowa, but it was too expensive for this year for this freelance graphic designer.
scottarany
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby scottarany » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:47 pm

JavaMom wrote:I live in Villa El Salvador, Lima, Peru. I don't currently have my dulcimer with me, but I plan on bringing it back with me the next time I am in the States. My husband and I, with our two children, are Independent Baptist Missionaries to the Deaf in Peru, South America. Many of you will remember my Mom, Gail Knapp. I have a couple of her dulcimers. I do have a question, if anyone could help me out. One of her dulcimers, I believe, is a McSpadden. I have tried and tried to tune the "D" string. I can't get it to stay tuned. I've tried replacing the string, but that didn't seem to help. I think the problem might be with the key holding the string. It is not holding it tight when I try to tune it. Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Sarah McKendree
http://www.perudeafmissions.com

Sarah, I had a similar problem with one of my McSpaddens. All I had to do was take a small screwdriver and tighten up the visible screw on the tuner (on top of the twisty part you grab) and voila! All fixed. It was driving me NUTS until I figured that out. In hindsight, it was an obvious solution but took me a while to figure out because the tuner didn't "feel" loose.
scottarany
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby kwl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Sarah, Scott's post is the first thing I would try to resolve the problem you are having with your McSpadden. Depending upon the age of the dulcimer those are friction tuners and and tightening the screw will solve the problem. I remember your mother and her participation here at ED. I think of her occasionally and miss her. She was a good advocate for the mountain dulcimer.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:01 pm

kwl wrote:Sarah, Scott's post is the first thing I would try to resolve the problem you are having with your McSpadden. Depending upon the age of the dulcimer those are friction tuners and and tightening the screw will solve the problem. I remember your mother and her participation here at ED. I think of her occasionally and miss her. She was a good advocate for the mountain dulcimer.

Ken

Sarah, When I answered, I should have asked if your dulcimer has a flat head or a scroll head on it. If it has a scroll, then look at the end of the tuning peg head which the guys have described as having a small tightening screw. If it is a McSpadden flat head then it probably doesn't have a poke through type tuner, but a poke up geared tuner. This might need just a cleaning or an actual replacement.

All my dulcimers, both flat and scroll have the geared guitar type so I always forget the banjo type that poke through. Or does the dulcimer actually has wooden pegs rather than metal tuning machines.
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby JavaMom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:12 am

Thank you for the advice. Like I said, I don't have it with me - there was no room in the luggage this time! I will try what you have suggested as soon as I get the dulcimer! By the way, there are dulcimer players in New Mexico (that's where my family is from), but I don't know any personally. There used to be a lady in Capitan that my Mom knew. I don't know if she is still there or not. Thanks again for the advice!
Sarah
www.perudeafmissions.com
JavaMom
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby 1jfraser » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 am

Hi I am a beginner Dulcimer player that lives in Centralia Washington. Trying to find other players that want to get together. I play the Mountain Dulcimer. Happy to be here. Happy Holidays!
1jfraser
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby geothefisher » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi all! I am a beginning dulcimer player. I fell in love with them while on our third vacation to Gatlinburg, TN. I am fron Milton, PA and am looking forward to learning a new instrument and making new friends!
geothefisher
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Welcome to ED geothefisher! Are you aware of the Frosty Valley Dulcimer Friends who meet in Danville? You can find them under the clubs tab above. It is a good way to connect with some local dulcimer players.

Ken
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby geothefisher » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Thank you! I'll have to look them up after the holidays!
geothefisher
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:05 am

You're welcome. The next time I get a notice of their meeting I'll send it to you.

Ken
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion