Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

WHERE DO YOU LIVE & PLAY YOUR DULCIMER?

PACIFIC: [Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California]
10%
MOUNTAIN: [Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico]
5%
MIDWEST: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio]
25%
NORTH EAST: [New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts]
11%
SOUTH: [West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missiissippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Arkansas]
41%
CANADA:
3%
SCOTLAND, IRELAND, ENGLAND & WALES:
2%
EUROPE:
1%
AUSTRALIA:
1%
ASIA:
0%
AFRICA:
0%
SOUTH AMERICA:
0%

Total votes : 714

Re: Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Postby cfleming1951 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:43 pm

South Bradenton, Florida
cfleming1951
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby scottarany » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:46 pm

I think I may have posted to this thread, before, but I'm not sure.

I've recently relocated back to Southern California, in and around Los Angeles and Riverside. I'd love to meet up with other dulcimer players in the area! I've never even played with another dulcimer player before, though I've been playing the instrument for a little over two years now and perform frequently.
scottarany
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi Scott,

There seems to be a fairly active community of mountain dulcimer players in the LA area. Check out Jennifer Ranger at the Dollmakers store in Monrovia. JoEllen Lapidus and Leo Kretzner both live in the area. There is/was a yearly festival at Dana Point. I usually try to visit Jennifer at her regular Friday night concerts in front of the store when I am in Van Nuys.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby scottarany » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks! Today happens to be Friday, and I'm not too far from Monrovia. I might just have to check that out.
scottarany
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Sandravanasch » Sun May 19, 2013 11:33 am

I just bought a Dulcimer. I live in Southern Utah. I was hoping to find other players who live near me?
Anyone live in Southern Utah? You can reach me at: svanasch@yahoo.com. :D :D :D :D
I am a beginner on this instrument and would love to connect with another player.
Sandravanasch
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby joha » Mon May 20, 2013 11:06 am

Fayetteville, Arkansas is my home.
Nary far from it do I roam.
But on a good day I do love to play
music to dance and sway.

Medival sounds please my soul.
Purple dress when I am feeling bold.
Recorder Flute now the hammered dalcimer too.
Hopefully someday will make music for you.

Howdy from Johannette of Shire March of the Grimfells [Society of Creative Anachronism]
joha
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby MarcS » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Greetings from Oregon!

My name is Marc, and I am a brand-new mountain dulcimer player ... actually haven't even played one yet!

I met Scott Snyder through a guitar trade, and he showed me some of his dulcimers. That's all it took. I needed one.

Tom Yocky is building me a custom dulcimer that he promises will be done in time for KG 39 (Kindred Gathering Dulcimer Festival August 2-4 in Wilsonville, OR). I was originally going to start with a Blue Lion, but I wasn't going to have the $$ for one until July and their stock of the ones I would be interested in weren't guaranteed to be in stock. Tom was kind enough to offer to build me one due to my connection with Scott (thanks guys!), and I am EXTREMELY excited to go to the KG and start playing, meet people and just have a good time. When my dulcimer is done, I'll post a photo or two ... it is going to be special.

So - for those of you who will be at KG 39, I'm looking forward to meeting you, as well as making connections/friends here on the forum. I play guitar, mandolin and ukulele, so hopefully I'll get functional on the dulcimer relatively quickly. I have two Mel Bay books on the way so I'll know a few things by August.

Drop me a line and say "Howdy"!

Marc
MarcS
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby scottarany » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 pm

I've posted in this thread before, but just recently moved to Spokane, WA. Any other dulcimer players in the inland northwest?

I play a lot of church music (I'm a liturgical artist), original songs, covers, and occasionally plug my dulcimers into the laptop with fun FX and bow them for ambient soundscapes.
scottarany
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby dranner63 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:58 am

Darn!!! I lived in Spokane for 3 years and looked and looked for local mt or hammer dulcimer player and never found one. Now I live in Portland, OR, and happily there are many players of both here. Actually the nearest player I found to spokane is in the Tri Cities, Three River's Dulcimer club.

Deb

scottarany wrote:I've posted in this thread before, but just recently moved to Spokane, WA. Any other dulcimer players in the inland northwest?

I play a lot of church music (I'm a liturgical artist), original songs, covers, and occasionally plug my dulcimers into the laptop with fun FX and bow them for ambient soundscapes.
dranner63
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby dranner63 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:01 am

Hi Marc,

where in Oregon are you located? I play with two clubs near Portland, one in Sandy, OR and one in Estacada, OR. Its fun!

Deb Richard

MarcS wrote:Greetings from Oregon!

My name is Marc, and I am a brand-new mountain dulcimer player ... actually haven't even played one yet!

I met Scott Snyder through a guitar trade, and he showed me some of his dulcimers. That's all it took. I needed one.

Tom Yocky is building me a custom dulcimer that he promises will be done in time for KG 39 (Kindred Gathering Dulcimer Festival August 2-4 in Wilsonville, OR). I was originally going to start with a Blue Lion, but I wasn't going to have the $$ for one until July and their stock of the ones I would be interested in weren't guaranteed to be in stock. Tom was kind enough to offer to build me one due to my connection with Scott (thanks guys!), and I am EXTREMELY excited to go to the KG and start playing, meet people and just have a good time. When my dulcimer is done, I'll post a photo or two ... it is going to be special.

So - for those of you who will be at KG 39, I'm looking forward to meeting you, as well as making connections/friends here on the forum. I play guitar, mandolin and ukulele, so hopefully I'll get functional on the dulcimer relatively quickly. I have two Mel Bay books on the way so I'll know a few things by August.

Drop me a line and say "Howdy"!

Marc
dranner63
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby dbennett » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 am

dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Mark in Scotia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:20 pm

I always figured Robert Force in Port Townsend is the farthest northwest in America...but.... Washington is a big state... Now, I do have dulcimer friend in Alaska.. too..
Me, I'm in Scotia, Humboldt County, California.. northwest part of California...center of the emerald triangle, Reggae on the River Festival and Kate Wolf Festival.... and home to redwood treess and the mighty Pacific Ocean...... and the KG's are a great place to meet west coast folks... I helped host KG 37.... now its nearly time for KG40... hopefully somewhere in Northern California this next summer...2014...want to come to Scotia?
Mark in Scotia
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion