Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

WHERE DO YOU LIVE & PLAY YOUR DULCIMER?

PACIFIC: [Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California]
10%
MOUNTAIN: [Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico]
5%
MIDWEST: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio]
25%
NORTH EAST: [New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts]
11%
SOUTH: [West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missiissippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Arkansas]
41%
CANADA:
3%
SCOTLAND, IRELAND, ENGLAND & WALES:
2%
EUROPE:
1%
AUSTRALIA:
1%
ASIA:
0%
AFRICA:
0%
SOUTH AMERICA:
0%

Total votes : 714

Re: Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Postby bigsky » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:01 pm

New guy here...just checking in from Great Falls Montana. I have a Smoky Ridge Dulcimer mountain dulcimer and a Songbird Phoebe hammered dulcimer on the way. Love the site, and I'm looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks for having me! ~ Tom
bigsky
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 am

Tom, welcome to ED! It's good to have you aboard. If we can help you in any please do not hesitate to ask.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby tgould » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I live and play (sort of -- just starting!) in Grand Rapids, Michigan. --Toni in GR
tgould
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Wyatt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:01 am

Well, I put Texas in my vote 'cus that is my home, but I travel everywhere. Since my infection with the DAD a few months ago, I have been in N. Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas. Back to Florida next, then Tennessee and THEN the northwest. Next winter, Belize maybe. Bet nobody there knows dulcimer...heck nobody much in Texas knows.

Wyatt
Wyatt
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby KenH » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:49 am

Where are you coming to in FL? I live in Fort Myers, on the Gulf Coast, between Sarasota and Naples.

You might be surprised about Belize. Remember Texas is 3x the size of Belize, and neither is a small place. I know of LOTS of dulcimer players in Texas, but probably not just down the street from you!
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby barbh » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:21 am

Checking in from mid Michigan. Have played the HD on and off for years now. Had it stored away for the past 3 and a half years when I took up the fiddle. Recently dug my dulcimer back out again and started playing it again. In the next few months hoping to make it to some of the some what local jams. Along with plans to attend the dulcimer fest. here in Michigan in July, already requested and approved for time off.
barbh
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dloase » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi. I live and play in the tidewater region of Virginia. While I am new to dulcimer, I am not new to music. I have played guitar for over 40 years, and mandolin for over 15. My wife bought me a 5 string 6+ dulcimer a couple of years ago, but it had set on the shelf while I finished my masters. I played it this last Sunday in church for the first time. I have lots to learn as there seem to be less "rules" with the dulcimer than there are with the other strings that I play.
dloase
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Welcome dloase;

Yes - as you discovered there are a lot fewer "rules" to playing dulcimer. We usually say "There's no right way, or wrong way to play dulcimer -- just YOUR way. Some people (like me) play traditional noter & drone style. Others play traditional Melody & Drone (sometimes called Fingerdancing), still others play the modern 3-tfinger Chord-Melody style. Therte is a wealth of information here. If you've got questions just ask!
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby B 67 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:52 am

Hi all,

Darren is the name. I've been lurking here for about a year, thought it time I actually joined. Apparently I'm the 6th Australian to do so - or at least the 6th to have responded to this poll. :mrgreen: I'm in the Gippsland region of Victoria, a little over 200km (125 miles) east of Melbourne.

I'd been interested in Hammered Dulcimer for several years after accidentally discovering them via YouTube (whilst looking for something totally unrelated of course ;) ). Spent many evenings devouring info about them online, who makes them, what kinds were there, how to play them etc etc etc.
For a beginner with a limited budget, and limited to what I could find online, I'd pretty much narrowed the search down to the package deals by Songbird, Masterworks and Dusty Strings. But couldn't decide which of those, although no doubt I'd have been happy with any of them. I was also reasonably sure from what I'd been reading everywhere, that a 12/11 was something I would find a little limiting. So what did I end up getting?

Well, as luck would have it, a HD appeared on eBay Australia. The first one I'd ever seen there. And it was cheap. It was a 12/11, but I figured it was better than nothing at all, which is what I had at the time. :roll: The seller listed is as being by Dusty Strings, although it didn't look like one of theirs to me. But the thought that this could be in my hands in a few days at less than the shipping costs of a new one from the USA became too strong to resist. I bid and won as sole bidder. 8)

And a few days later it arrived. Well, the instrument certainly had dusty (and rusty) strings, and came in a Dusty Strings branded case, but it wasn't made by them. After a good tune-up, it sounded pleasant (very). I'd say it had not been played in many years. The seller said he had never played it, and he got it secondhand. A good clean out with compressed air and a wipe down, saw it come up very presentable. It also saw a hand-written sticker come out. Hammer Dance Dulcimers. So I finally had a makers name to go on. And it was actually during the search for that name that I found this forum. :D Oh, and I did find Lee Spears' site as well.

Would be interesting to know how this dulcimer made its way down-under. Love the sound of it. I'm guessing its around 30ish years old ??? May benefit from new strings sooner or later, but happy with it as is for now. See below.

I made my own scissors stand, although the dulcimer did come with a screw-in sit-down monopod leg. Just means I can leave it set up and practice anytime I'm near it (it's right beside the computer). Still a long way to go in that respect. But having fun regardless. :D

Hmmm! I've probably already wandered from the topic for this thread. Ahem! Perhaps I should've started a new one.

And I have. Please go to http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30376
Last edited by B 67 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
B 67
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi Darren;

Welcome.

If I were you, I'd post this same information in the Hammered Dulcimer section. Not everyone looks here in the Jam Session, and you'll stand more chance of a Hammerhead who can help you seeing your interesting story of this HD.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby B 67 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:44 am

I agree with you Ken. In fact I was thinking the same once I realised I'd gone further than intended with this post. Now moved to http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30376. If anyone wishes to reply, please do so there.
B 67
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby jackiejay » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:19 pm

SOUTH: [West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missiissippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Arkansas]
41%
WOW!!!!there is alot of us dulcimer players in the south:))))))
jackiejay
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion