Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

WHERE DO YOU LIVE & PLAY YOUR DULCIMER?

PACIFIC: [Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California]
10%
MOUNTAIN: [Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico]
5%
MIDWEST: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio]
25%
NORTH EAST: [New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts]
11%
SOUTH: [West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missiissippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Arkansas]
41%
CANADA:
3%
SCOTLAND, IRELAND, ENGLAND & WALES:
2%
EUROPE:
1%
AUSTRALIA:
1%
ASIA:
0%
AFRICA:
0%
SOUTH AMERICA:
0%

Total votes : 714

Re: Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Postby josol » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Northern Nevada. We have been performing locally as a duo with either two mountain dulcimers, or one mtn dulcimer with guitar, mandolin or recorder for the past three years. (We also do combinations with the other instruments and some vocals).

Started a contra dance band last year with a keyboard and bass player. Hubby Stan uses his dulcimer for lead on some numbers; I back him up with dulcimer or guitar chords - it's been a huge learning curve - not the least being the sound engineering, which Stan handles...

We've done a little teaching but only have one student at present who is sticking with it. Have not had success with getting together with other dulcimer players here - the two who were performing were hung up on DAA tuning. Took a dulcimer workshop in Aptos, California, in August 2012 and met a few dulcimer players from Sacramento - they started a monthly group from that event but we haven't been able to make it since the first time. We hope to attend the Pacific Rim Dulcimer Festival (Kindred gathering) this year since it will be in northern California.

Originally learned about dulcimers from a wonderful lady from Mountain Home, Arkansas, while we were in Houston in the 80s. However, after we moved from Texas to Oregon and then California in the 90s, we were unable to find other mountain dulcimer players and basically only occasionally played on the one we had. My main guide was Lois Hornbostel's book, "Anthology for the Fretted Dulcimer." Have to say it's my favorite music book of all time...

In 2008-2009, we were lucky enough to be in Jacksonville, Florida, where we found Bruce and the River City Dulcimer group - this gave us a real shot in the arm to start playing our dulcimers together - we're ever so grateful and act as dulcimer ambassadors wherever we can.

BTW Bruce, it's awesome to see how this website has developed since that time - what a wonderful service - please say hi to everyone from the River City group from us!
josol
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 am

Nice to see you back!

You said: "two who were performing were hung up on DAA tuning."

What's wrong with that? I've been playing nearly 40 years and play primarily in DAA unless the tune requires another Mode, and then I play in Dorian, Aeolian, or whatever the tune requires.

Why would you discourage people who were playing the THE Major Key tuning? 80% of the songs we sing, hum and whistle are Major Key = Ionian Mode tunes. DAd is NOT the only tuning in the universe! How many songs in your repertoire are true Mixolydian/DAd tunes? I'd bet less than a half dozen. I have over 200 tunes I play from memory and only 2 or 3 are Mixo mode. The vast majority of the tunes you play in DAd are NOT Mixolydian tunes, they are Ionian Mode tunes being played in Mixo tuning thanks only to the non-traditional 6+ fret which you have.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Steve Smith » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 am

KenH wrote:The vast majority of the tunes you play in DAd are NOT Mixolydian tunes, they are Ionian Mode tunes being played in Mixo tuning thanks only to the non-traditional 6+ fret which you have.

Check what you quoted, Ken. He didn't say Mixolydian tuning, he said DAA tuning. No such thing as Mixolydian tuning, anyway, but that's in another thread...

Also curious that you think hammered dulcimer players don't check this forum. There's nothing in the topic title, original post or thread forum that specifies either type of dulcimer. Those of us who play either or neither check the Jam Session forum just as much as others, I'd say.

DAA/DAd, mountain/hammered: "Why can't we all just get along?" ;)
Steve Smith
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby MountainMinstrel » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Steve Smith wrote:
KenH wrote:The vast majority of the tunes you play in DAd are NOT Mixolydian tunes, they are Ionian Mode tunes being played in Mixo tuning thanks only to the non-traditional 6+ fret which you have.

Check what you quoted, Ken. He didn't say Mixolydian tuning, he said DAA tuning. No such thing as Mixolydian tuning, anyway, but that's in another thread...

Also curious that you think hammered dulcimer players don't check this forum. There's nothing in the topic title, original post or thread forum that specifies either type of dulcimer. Those of us who play either or neither check the Jam Session forum just as much as others, I'd say.

DAA/DAd, mountain/hammered: "Why can't we all just get along?" ;)

That should read, "Why can't we all just play a song?" :D
MountainMinstrel
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby MountainMinstrel » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Well it Seems I have not posted here yet. I live in California's Gold Country, Sonora, CA. While I currently do not play a dulcimer here, I am rounding up the last few bits I need to build myself a Hammered Dulcimer. This area is rich with musicians and has a fairly healthy Celtic tradition. I have met a couple of good players here one of whom teaches so I think that I will have the resources I need to get up and running with this new instrument (I already play guitar, quite well I'm told, and piano and have a background in theory so I think this will be a doable endeavor for me).
MountainMinstrel
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Jamin oldie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:11 pm

Live in North East Georgia, USA. Lots of dulcimer players in this area . .
Jamin oldie
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dulcimerman 88 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:46 pm

I live in Heber Springs, AR, about 45 minutes from Mountain View, home of the McShane Dulcimer Shoppe. I play in a dulcimer group that performs monthly, as well as present solo dulcimer programs.
dulcimerman 88
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dulcimerman 88 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:47 pm

Correction - that is McSpadden Dulcimer Shoppe.
dulcimerman 88
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby k0k0peli » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:05 pm

This thread seems a bit slow. Like my life. Anyway, I'm new here. Not exactly new to dulcimers, as I've been noodling with them for a bit over a half-century, and I built them for awhile, but I'm not really a serious player. That may change. I'm nowhere near any dulcimer Meccas -- I'm in a remote mountain hamlet below Lake Tahoe, California. And playing? I'm just sitting on my couch, noodling along...
k0k0peli
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Clogger » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:16 pm

I live in Morecambe in Lancashire, UK and am new to the mountain dulcimer. I play in old time sessions in Kendal and Sedbergh in Cumbria. I Dance with Legs Levens Appalachian Clog Team based in Levens, Cumbria.
Clogger
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby BakerBear » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:36 am

Hmm, I don't think I'm allowed to change my vote! I've relocated to Tokyo, Japan, for 2-4 years. We hit one year here as of mid-July. So there's one more (temporary) vote for Asia!
BakerBear
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby k0k0peli » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:22 pm

BakerBear wrote:Hmm, I don't think I'm allowed to change my vote! I've relocated to Tokyo, Japan, for 2-4 years. We hit one year here as of mid-July. So there's one more (temporary) vote for Asia!

I am tempted to return for extended stays in Chiapas (southernmost Mexico) and Guatemala and would essay to then change my vote to South (actually Central) America. Alas, can't be done. I guess I'll have to stay home. :roll: And play more dulcimer.
k0k0peli
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion