Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

WHERE DO YOU LIVE & PLAY YOUR DULCIMER?

PACIFIC: [Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California]
10%
MOUNTAIN: [Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico]
5%
MIDWEST: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio]
25%
NORTH EAST: [New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts]
11%
SOUTH: [West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missiissippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Arkansas]
41%
CANADA:
3%
SCOTLAND, IRELAND, ENGLAND & WALES:
2%
EUROPE:
1%
AUSTRALIA:
1%
ASIA:
0%
AFRICA:
0%
SOUTH AMERICA:
0%

Total votes : 718

Re: Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Postby DeannaByTheSea » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:44 pm

I live in Monterey, California. There are a handful of other players (and teachers, too, such as Neal Hellman) an hour north of me in the Santa Cruz area, plus wonderful CapriTaurus builder Howard Rugg in the Santa Cruz Mountains — but Monterey itself is not a dulcimer Mecca... yet. Anyone interested in relocating? ;-) It’s very pretty here!
DeannaByTheSea
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Dulcibo5 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:16 pm

you have heady company in Rugg and Hellman! They have been into dulcimers and the dulcimer scene for many years. I have had opportunity to talk to and share with Howard Rugg a couple of times, and had some correspondence with Neal Hellman too. Very fine and interesting Gentlemen. Yes your area is very beautiful, been there many times in the past. Am 83 and in my home area in Washington where I grew up and finished College, and am not likely to go back to California to live.
Dulcibo5
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re:

Postby Elvensong » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:30 am

a.mellifera wrote:I'm in Washington state and know no other dulcimer players who live near. :(

I live in the Southern Puget Sound area (Olympia) and belong to the Old Growth Mountain Dulcimer circle (https://oldgrowthmountaindulcimerclub.com/ There are 20 or so in the group and we meet at least once a month.

The Kindred Gathering has been going on 44 years now and rotates between WA, OR, and CA. It normally is in August. There is no date yet this year but I know it will be in WA and probably in Port Townsend.

Feel free to contact me via email (dean at elvensong dot com) if you live nearby and want to get together!

I am just starting to play again after a few years hiatus. But I just finished a new song - A Touch of Spring - and uploaded it to Soundcloud. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/elvensong
Elvensong
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Dulcibo5 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:46 am

I haven't been to Kindred Gathering for a few years now. Glad it is still going on. Might be able to make it to the August gathering. Is there a site for it?
Dulcibo5
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Dulcibo5 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:47 am

By the way I enjoyed hearing your playing and seeing your beautifully decorated dulcimer.
Dulcibo5
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion