Where do you live & play your Dulcimer? (Part 2)

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

WHERE DO YOU LIVE & PLAY YOUR DULCIMER?

PACIFIC: [Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California]
10%
MOUNTAIN: [Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico]
5%
MIDWEST: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio]
25%
NORTH EAST: [New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts]
11%
SOUTH: [West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missiissippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Arkansas]
41%
CANADA:
3%
SCOTLAND, IRELAND, ENGLAND & WALES:
2%
EUROPE:
1%
AUSTRALIA:
1%
ASIA:
0%
AFRICA:
0%
SOUTH AMERICA:
0%

Total votes : 714

Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:00 am

So:
2% of active members live outside North America
&
4% live outside of the U S A!

Anyone else wish this was a global site, rather than just an American one? :?
Ptarmigan
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Location: Spying on you all, with Binoculars, from a hill in Co. Antrim, Ireland

Postby RePete » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:03 am

I would love to hear more from our neighbors in other countries. It is fascinating to hear how different and alike we all are.
RePete
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby kwl » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:13 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:
So: Anyone else wish this was a global site, rather than just an American one? :?

Yes
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby jt3d » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:36 pm

Yes. Don't know how that can be done, though, other than spreading the word somehow at festivals/dulcimer gatherings that are being held in other countries.
jt3d
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Gail Lewis » Wed May 02, 2007 5:30 pm

I live in Mt. View, AR. It is great for dulcimers! Dulcimer week was just held at the Folk Center. Although I didn't go to the workshops, I went to the nighttime jams and met some very nice people, as well as seeing some people I had met before. The playing at the jams was awesome.
I also go once a week to the Monday night dulcimer jam here. The Dulcimer Shop is only 2 miles from my house. Seldom see dulcimers playing on the courthouse square, though. That's when the fiddle and mandolin come in handy. I also take them to the music jams on Wednesday and Thursday. Lots of music here!!
My husband and I are now square dancing in some of the programs at the Folk Center. We will be dancing tonight. We found that Ozark square dancing is different than what we are used to. We also two-step, waltz, and jig dance in the program. FUN! :D
Gail Lewis

South Carolina

Postby jvlpog » Wed May 02, 2007 6:03 pm

I live in a little town about 50 miles west of Myrtle Beach, SC. Believe it or not, I own one of the two dulcimers in town. The other person has not been "dulcified" like me. The closest dulcimer group that meets regularly is about a two hour drive from here. Sometimes I feel like the Maytag repairman. :cry:
jvlpog

Orlando, Florida

Postby Daddy-O » Thu May 03, 2007 9:29 am

I currently live in the Central Florida Flatlands in the metro Orlando area (Bing Futch country). Specifically, I live in Seminole County on the Northeast side of O-Town, as far away from the theme parks as I can get. I have only been playing the MD for a few months but have played a few times for my church accompanied by a friend who plays the 12-string gee-tar. Other than that, I play at home alone for my own amusement.
Daddy-O

Postby tomjudy » Fri May 04, 2007 10:22 am

I do most of my playing - hammer dulcimer, mt. dulcimer, autoharp with a small group that I belong to as well as the Ozark Wilderness Dulcimer Club, and at church.

Over the years, I have taken my mt. dulcimer to Thailand, Japan and Honduras. The people in those countries just love it.

Judy :D
tomjudy

Postby Jumbuk » Fri May 04, 2007 8:04 pm

I live on the east side of Melbourne, Australia. I am currently trying to put together a list of all dulcimerists in Australia, with the aim of identying any of us that live close enough together to be able to form an ocassional session group. If not that, then maybe a specific Australian dulcimer website.

There are about 26 NZ dulcimer enthusiasts that have a Yahoo group, and even a playing session or two.

Any Oz players/makers that are interested, please PM me with comments/ideas/background and I will include you in updates as I gather the list.

PS There is a hammered dulcimer society in Oz, run by local maker Gillian Alcock.
Jumbuk

Postby KenH » Mon May 07, 2007 8:08 am

I like to think that ED really IS an international group that got started by Americans and just happens to have a preponderance of Amerrican members at this time. There have to be mountain and hammered dulcimer players (by whatever other names) in many more places than have been mentioend. How can we attract them to ED?
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Whip » Tue May 08, 2007 8:40 pm

There are no other players up here by me in way up northern Wisconsin and in desperation, I loaned a First Act to a co-worker's Mom. My co-worker told me she was interested. That was last year and I haven't seen her or it since. I don't miss the dulcimer (I bought it just for this purpose) as much as I miss the loss opportunity of a "play" mate. :cry:
The co-worker was a college student now off to real life so maybe I'll just have to find her myself.

Whip
Whip

Stillwater Oklahoma

Postby Old Goat » Tue May 08, 2007 9:53 pm

I live and play in Stillwater Oklahoma. Picked up my first real dulcimer at Mt View from the McSpadden shop. Have added others including a 1800 MD recreation that I play at Civil War era re enactments. Have added some Limber Jacks because the kids like to play with them and think they are "cool".
Old Goat
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion