First ever solid body electric dulcimer ???

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

First ever solid body electric dulcimer ???

Postby robert@robertfishbone.com » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello... I built a solid body electric in 1972 and my research shows it may be the first ever that was built. Does anyone know of a solid body electric dulcimer built before 1972? Any help in my research is greatly appreciated...thanks, Robert Fishbone

PS: It is an amazing experience to play it, especially percussively...my wife described the sound as 'insect fear', a tribute to a Jerry Garcia track on Mickey Hart's album, Rolling Thunder. The shape is Appalachian Mountains meets the Starship Enterprise (original series of course!)
Attachments
Electric-Dulcimer-2.jpg
Split pickup from a fender 12 string electric
Electric-Dulcimer-1.jpg
Hand-carved, solid mahogany body; Brazilian rosewood fretboard, maple pin block,
robert@robertfishbone.com
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: First ever solid body electric dulcimer ???

Postby Frimp » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Robert, I first encountered a "normal" dulcimer in the spring of 1973, and built my first kit in 1974.
I then took some odds and ends, including an old pine rafter, and cobbled together my first electric dulcimer.
I still have it (where nobody can see it), but have since constructed 5 others which turned out rather well.
But none before 1972! :) That's an interesting take on an electric dulcimer you built.
Frimp
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion