Teaching Copyrighted Songs

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Teaching Copyrighted Songs

Postby ryanra » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:48 am

I would like to teach my own arrangement of the Beatles song, "Norwegian Wood" to mountain dulcimer classes. But I have heard that I need permission to make a paper arrangement of a copyrighted song. This is called a derivative arrangement I believe. I live in Knoxville, TN. Should I write a letter to ASCAP to try and get permission or find out their cost for making such an arrangement of "Norwegian Wood".
ryanra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Teaching Copyrighted Songs

Postby KenH » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:16 pm

If I remember right, ASCAP covers 'performance rights', not what you are talking about. Any yes, you need permission to 'publish' an arrangement of a previously copyrighted song. The international copyright of the lyrics is held by an outfit called Northern Songs
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby strumelia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Perhaps there's a faster way of getting the info you need from them other than writing them a letter. They may need to know certain things like how you plan to use your material (published in a book? handed out in workshops? downloadable online by your pupils or on a website? Recorded on a CD?...) Be sure to give them all details so that you can avoid a long drawn out series of back and forth letters. Have you tried visiting their website? Perhaps they have a quick inquiry form you can submit there with your question. They might also have a "Frequently asked questions" on their site which could help answer some uncertainties you might have.
strumelia
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:17 pm

I believe that Sonyatv currently owns Northern Songs. Northern Songs was purchased by ATV. ATV was purchased by Michael Jackson and then merged with Sony. Paul McCartney sued Sony to get back ownership of Beatles catalog, but settled out of court with Sony a few weeks ago. Here is contact information for Sonyatv: https://www.sonyatv.com/en/contact This is the first place I would contact. On the other hand, if you are doing this to hand out at classes you teach and are not charging for the copies, this may be more trouble than it's worth. Twenty years or so ago, I requested permission from Oxford University to use a song for which they owned the copyright. They were very gracious in allowing me to use it at no charge, but I was required to provide them with two copies of the tab I made of the song and report how many copies I distributed. Of course, I needed to include the copyright notice, and adhere to a few other changes they wanted in the lyrics. Best wished for a successful project

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby ryanra » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Rudy Ryan
ryanra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion