Need help finding this song

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Need help finding this song

Postby nancyjm » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Does anyone have DAD or DGD version of this old time song " Jesus, Take My Hand" or Jesus, Hold My Hand". Super Thanks ~ Nancy in Hutchinson Ks.
nancyjm
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Need help finding this song

Postby KenH » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Look online for the Cyber Hymnal...
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 am

Nancy
This song was written by Albert Brumley with copyright 1961. It was printed in one of Albert's small music books "America's Memory Valley" along with "The Best Of Albert E. Brumley". I've seen where many people have assumed an old hymn is traditional (like "I'll Fly Away", also by Brumley). Here's the link to Albert's site where his music can be purchased at a more than reasonable price.

http://www.brumleymusic.com/product/the-best-of-albert-e-brumley/

Albert's version of "Jesus Hold My Hand" is in the key of E flat and there are some incidental notes that might not fit on a dulcimer without extra frets even after converting the song to the key of D or G. If you know the melody real well, you might be able to sound out the melody if you play by ear starting on either the 4th fret or the 7th fret (it might be better starting from the 7th fret).

Also, it appears the CyberHymnal site has changed since the last time I visited the site. When searching for a song that doesn't exist on the site, the site provides links that look like the search item but are actually links to file conversion software. Be careful if you select a converter site by mistake, I clicked on one of them by mistake and it wanted to download other software I don't need.

If a song exists on the site in the search criteria, some of the same converter files appear in the search list and the song being searched appears down the list. (I searched on Blessed Assurance and it appeared after links to converter files). The site also provides a way to scan through the songs on the site by selecting a letter of the alphabet.

Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Good to know, Dave, thanx. I haven't been there in awhile. If the song was writing in 1961, it is still under copyright. Play it for yourself but don't perform it in public or share it with a group -- that would be illegal.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:23 pm

[quote="KenH" Play it for yourself but don't perform it in public or share it with a group -- that would be illegal.[/quote]

Not completely correct, Ken. Unless the copyright includes "All rights reserved including public performance." public performance is not excluded. Of course, a fee may be required for that performance which is usually the responsibility of the venue, not the performer. You are correct in that any written (printed) copy can not be shared without the permission of the copyright holder. If that is obtained and proper fees paid, it may be shared.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby jakstall » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:58 pm

dholeton wrote:Also, it appears the CyberHymnal site has changed since the last time I visited the site. When searching for a song that doesn't exist on the site, the site provides links that look like the search item but are actually links to file conversion software. Be careful if you select a converter site by mistake, I clicked on one of them by mistake and it wanted to download other software I don't need.

FYI, there are two sites that use the title "CyberHymnal." I think the one that Dave refers to above has the "CyberHymnal.org" URL, but the page is actually labelled as "Net Hymnal."
Their URL is as follows:
Net Hymnal

The other site, which I think is hosted by the original Cyberhymnal folks, uses the Cyberhymnal title on the page with a trademark designation, but their url is actually "hymntime.com" as in the following link: CyberHymnal

I believe that the original Cyberhymnal site lost rights to their URL some years ago and then reappeared with the "hymntime.com" url instead of their original one. Once you get to the music, the content is very similar all the way down to the backgrounds. The hymntime.com url doesn't seem to have the pesky 3rd party links embedded, however (and also doesn't support the Google search function which is what causes the issue on the "cyberhymnal.org" url).

Sorry to hijack the topic with this, but I thought I'd point out what I think is the reason behind what Dave saw when he visited the site.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks for the update Jakstall. I updated my favorites.

Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Good to know; thanx.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby nancyjm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:26 am

Thanks everyone ~ learned much from the discussion.
nancyjm
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion